Rolling Pin Recommendations?

If you could only have one rolling pin which would you choose?

• Old fashioned with handle at each end

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • dowel

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • stainless steel dowel type

• marble

• silicone with mat

• adjustable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • wooden french classic

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Milkduds

Local time
9:06 PM
I thought today I would do some rough puff and make some little meat pies to go with our salads. I discovered that my rolling pin has disappeared. It's not something I use a lot, because I generally use my hands to work dough. I have no idea where that pin could be but I can't find it. So I have to buy one. What kind would you recommend? I've usually had two types in my life, the little dowel kind that works great for tortillas, and the old fashioned kind with the handle on each end. Lately there are stainless steel, french, adjustable, and silicone to choose from. I prefer easy storage, meaning I toss it under the counter and forget it till the next time so I'm pretty sure I don't want a fancy marble one.
What would you recommend and why?

I don't know what a 'French rolling pin' looks like. I googled but still confused.

In the absence of a rolling pin a wine bottle does a reasonable job.
A French pin is a wooden one, no handles, and tapered.

That's my preference. It's a fast pin, lots of precise control.

Old fashioned, never washed,just rubbed down. I was told years ago, don't wash them as the water distorts the wood. Last year I couldn't find my rolling pin, I asked the wife to find it,she looked at me as if I was stupid and said its in the oven? What?? She had cleaned up after me and washed the pin then put it in the oven that was cooling to dry it. Wtf?? She doesn't touch it anymore.

Russ

Old fashioned, never washed,just rubbed down. I was told years ago, don't wash them as the water distorts the wood. Last year I couldn't find my rolling pin, I asked the wife to find it,she looked at me as if I was stupid and said its in the oven? What?? She had cleaned up after me and washed the pin then put it in the oven that was cooling to dry it. Wtf?? She doesn't touch it anymore.

Russ
I have a huge divot in mine. Asked my wife, "Did you do that?"

"Oh, yeah. I guess I dropped it."

😒

I have a classic wooden French rolling pin, like the one TR showed.

Now, I rarely use a rolling pin, so don't put to much weight in my choice. It works. But, so does my mom's old rolling pin with spinning handles. And, so does a wine bottle, if that's what you have.

CD

I haven't ever used one of the french ones. I was never crazy about the old fashioned one with the handles. It seemed to take a lot more effort than the slim dowel kind. I am kind of inclined to try the classic french one, but I am also interested in the stainless steel. Has no one ever tried one of them?

The fragrant Mrs Burt prefers this type below. I prefer a Larp.
download (15).jpg

There is another type of rolling pin which is hollow glass (pyrex I think) or ceramic with stoppers each end. I used to have one. The idea is to fill the rolling pin with ice cubes so that it keeps the pastry cool. TBH I rarely bothered to do that..

A French pin is a wooden one, no handles, and tapered.

In which case I do have one. I only bought it recently (I don't think it was described as French). It is a very narrow one, tapered at each end and is supposed to be for making pasta.

I don't have a clue what you're talking about! :scratchhead:
A larp rolling pin is a foam fake pin used as a prop. "This LARP foam weapon is entirely usable for Live Action Role Playing" Back in the day one of my companies provided various props for films, TV and theater.. This was the roller we rented to Hetty Wainthropp
$value.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom