The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
11:25 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
3459FA22-6A67-48A7-9231-7900C07A6E1C.jpeg

So, my friends on the Mediterranean, what are these things? How do you prepare them?

Interesting question. My first thought would be to shell them and use the actual beans. Looking closer at your photo they are not full enough to shell. Curious.

Firstly, these are a Spanish Green Bean .. " Judias Verdes " ..
1) Wash thoroughly.
2) Snip the ends ..
3) Slice the Green beans in half ..
4) Get a big Skillet, and pour a shot glass of Spanish Evoo in it, mince a couple of cloves of garlic and when almost tender, add Green beans and sauté until tender ( 10 - 15 minutes ) & Add to salt to taste ..

Another way to prepare, is to high simmer until tender .. And drain wáter and then, sauté in Evoo with garlic ..

I do not like a ton of spices or odd ingredients on my veggies .. I like them as natural as posible and crisp yet tender interiors .. Not over cooked, which I consider a crime ..

The Green bean itself is amazingly sweet so I disagree on just using the beans .. To my knowledge is not done here .. I personally prefer the French Green Beans .. However, I have eaten the Spanish type many times and this is how it is done ..

One can also add some Iberian Ham or Proscuitto to the Evoo in strips .. However, be careful or you will have very salty Green Beans and any other porc, you shall have greasy Green Beans ..

Last edited:
I really don't think they are Roma beans - I was holding fire to let our med. friends reply. Far as I know they are Borlotti beans. These look like young ones. You shell them and cook the beans inside which are also pretty - sadly they lose colour when cooked.

I am happy to be proved wrong... but these are not Judas Verdas or Roma beans. They could however be Cranberry beans which after a bit of Googling I discovered are very similar if not the same as Borlotti beans. It seems they can be eaten whole when young. But then, most beans can!

Looks like you’re right, @morning glory. I think they might’ve seen the real name, and just figured they call them Roma beans, thinking no one would know the difference. I certainly didn’t. It seems like they’re meant to be removed from the pod. I will, however, prepare them using some of the things that @Francesca suggested.

Looks like you’re right, @morning glory. I think they might’ve seen the real name, and just figured they call them Roma beans, thinking no one would know the difference. I certainly didn’t. It seems like they’re meant to be removed from the pod. I will, however, prepare them using some of the things that @Francesca suggested.

It is a sad fact they just turn into brownish beans when you cook them. The little beans inside the pods are so pretty! I read that they have the reverse colours of the pods. Please post photos as and when.

These beans are Bortlotti .. Not Spanish Green Beans or Roma Beans which are Spanish Green beans ..

Though Spanish Green Beans could also be splashed with Magenta Red Violet markings and patterns as Navarre Cardoon which comes in 2 colors and is only grown wild here .. Green or White with a radicchio magenta red violet splashing of color ..

I am sure Mypinchofitaly could tell you how they are prepared .. I have never made ..

Photo Courtesy: Marked on Photograph ..
borlotti-beans.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom