Recipe Ropa Vieja

CraigC

Guru
Local time
11:26 PM
This is one of our favorite Cuban dishes the translation is rags or old clothes, referring to the shredded beef.
Recipe by Mary Urrutia Randelman "Memories of a Cuban Kitchen" (Macmillan, 1992)

Ingredients

One, 2 1/2-pound flank steak or sirloin flap meat
2 Bay leaves
1/4 Cup Pure Spanish olive oil
1 lg Onion, cut in half and each 1/2 thinly sliced
1 lg Green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
2 To 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Cup Drained and chopped canned whole tomatoes
1/2 Cup dry sherry
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 Cup Finely chopped drained pimientos for garnish
1/2 Cup thawed and drained, frozen early sweet peas (optional)
Directions
1) Place the beef and 1 bay In a large pot, place the flank steak, just covered with water and cook over low heat, covered, until the meat is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
2) Remove the meat from the stock (save the stock for another use), allow to cool at room temperature, then cut the meat into 2-inch chunks.
3) Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over low heat until fragrant, then cook the onions, bell pepper, and garlic, stirring, or until the onions are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
5) Add the tomatoes, sherry, and the remaining bay leaf, and cook, uncovered, an additional 15 minutes.
6) When the meat is cool, shred it with your fingers, season with salt and pepper.
7) Add it to the tomato mixture, cover, and simmer over low heat for 50 minutes.
8) Remove the bay leaf.
9) Garnish with the pimientos and peas, and serve with long grain white rice.

The dish can be prepared a day or two in advance, cooled, and refrigerated, and then simmered, covered, over low heat until heated through, 25 to 35 minutes. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

36788-albums309-picture6288.jpg

Last edited:
He made a typo, it should be 25 to 35 minutes for the reheat. It might have originally been mine though as he copied and pasted from where I had rewritten the directions due to U.S. copyright laws when we first posted the recipe on another forum.

Obviously you would use appropriate amounts of salt and pepper, and we also use ground cumin at the end of step 3.

7) Add it to the tomato mixture, cover, and simmer over low heat for 50 minutes.

I like the use of sherry in this recipe - I've been experimenting with sherry so I think its on my brain.

Question: why is step 7 such a long cook given that meat is already cooked and shredded?

I like the use of sherry in this recipe - I've been experimenting with sherry so I think its on my brain.

Question: why is step 7 such a long cook given that meat is already cooked and shredded?

I would assume to meld flavors and further cook/soften the meat. Kind of like with Bolognese. The meat is usually at least partially cooked, yet most recipes have you cook it for at least an hour and usually longer.

Back
Top Bottom