Recipe Roquefort, Parsnip and Walnut Salad with Maple Dressing

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:50 PM
This is all about sweet and sour. The classic combination is blue cheese, pear and walnuts, but here I've used parsnip roasted in maple syrup instead of pears. Serves 2 as a light lunch with bread or as a side salad.

IMGP0943.jpg

Photographed today in natural light
Ingredients
1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into 2-3 cm pieces
10 - 12 walnut halves
60 g Roquefort cheese broken into rough pieces (you could substitute another blue cheese or feta)
1 satsuma (you could substitute mandarin or clementine)
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp maple syrup
Radicchio leaves
Watercress

Method
  • Place the whole satsuma (including peel) in a saucepan. Cover with boiling water and simmer for 25-30 mins until softened and tender.
  • Chop into chunks and remove any pips then blitz to a puree (I used a stick blender). Set aside to cool.
  • Heat the oven to 180C.
  • Place the parsnips in a baking tray lined with baking paper. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and toss the parsnips until coated.
  • Roast the parsnips for 20 mins.-25 mins until beginning to go golden. Drizzle over 2 tbsp maple syrup and toss to coat.
  • Return to oven for 15-20 minutes until caramelised. Remove and set aside.
  • Place the walnut halves in the same baking dish adding another tbsp maple syrup.
  • Roast for 15-20 minutes, turning them every 5 mins, until browned. Remove from oven and set aside. They will become crisp as they cool.
  • Assemble the salad as shown, breaking some of the walnut halves into smaller pieces.
  • Make the salad dressing by mixing 2 tbsp of the satsuma puree with 1 tbsp maple syrup and 1 tbsp olive oil. Add salt to taste. (you can use the left over puree as a marinade for chicken before tray-baking).
IMGP0927.jpg

This is all about sweet and sour. The classic combination is blue cheese, pear and walnuts, but here I've used parsnip roasted in maple syrup instead of pears. Serves 2 as a light lunch with bread or as a side salad.

View attachment 2815
Photographed today in natural light
Ingredients
1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into 2-3 cm pieces
10 - 12 walnut halves
60 g Roquefort cheese broken into rough pieces (you could substitute another blue cheese or feta)
1 satsuma (you could substitute mandarin or clementine)
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp maple syrup
Radicchio leaves
Watercress

Method
  • Place the whole satsuma (including peel) in a saucepan. Cover with boiling water and simmer for 25-30 mins until softened and tender.
  • Chop into chunks and remove any pips then blitz to a puree (I used a stick blender). Set aside to cool.
  • Heat the oven to 180C.
  • Place the parsnips in a baking tray lined with baking paper. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and toss the parsnips until coated.
  • Roast the parsnips for 20 mins.-25 mins until beginning to go golden. Drizzle over 2 tbsp maple syrup and toss to coat.
  • Return to oven for 15-20 minutes until caramelised. Remove and set aside.
  • Place the walnut halves in the same baking dish adding another tbsp maple syrup.
  • Roast for 15-20 minutes, turning them every 5 mins, until browned. Remove from oven and set aside. They will become crisp as they cool.
  • Assemble the salad as shown, breaking some of the walnut halves into smaller pieces.
  • Make the salad dressing by mixing 2 tbsp of the satsuma puree with 1 tbsp maple syrup and 1 tbsp olive oil. Add salt to taste. (you can use the left over puree as a marinade for chicken before tray-baking).
View attachment 2817
That's my healthy lunch sorted for today! I assume you take the rind off the satsuma before blending it? Or is that the sour bit?

Back
Top Bottom