Recipe Rummaniyeh (Palestinian lentil, aubergine and pomegranate stew)

Duck59

Guru
Local time
6:33 AM
Website
duckholiday.com
Pomegranates get used quite a lot in Palestinian cooking and this is a vegetarian concoction that is spicy, tasty and pretty healthy as well. There are variations on the theme, so there's scope for adding or omitting whatever you like or don't like. The following, however, represents the general idea. Another option for this is to take it all a bit further east and turn it into a dahl, but we'll stick with the original idea.

Ingredients
250g lentils (brown is the norm, but any colour will do)
1 tbsp ground cumin
600ml water
1 aubergine, cubed into small pieces
50ml olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
4–6 large garlic cloves, chopped
150ml pomegranate molasses
Juice of 2 lemons
1 pomegranate, seeded

Method

1. Put the lentils, cumin and water in a saucepan, bring to the boil and then continue to boil for 10 minutes. Add the aubergine and salt, then leave to simmer/
  2. Set another pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil and garlic and cook for a few minutes until they turn golden.
  3. When the lentils and aubergine have done, add the fried garlic and pomegranate molasses, and stir. Cook for another 5 minutes, then mix in the lemon juice.
  4. Place in a serving bowl, drizzle with a little olive oil and scatter the pomegranate seeds over the top.
If the molasses prove difficult to find, you can just lob in a bit more pomegranate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pomegranates get used quite a lot in Palestinian cooking and this is a vegetarian concoction that is spicy, tasty and pretty healthy as well. There are variations on the theme, so there's scope for adding or omitting whatever you like or don't like. The following, however, represents the general idea. Another option for this is to take it all a bit further east and turn it into a dahl, but we'll stick with the original idea.

Traditional cultural food is a great source of ideas. I heard that Beethoven tapped peasant folk music for some of the source for his greater works.

I'm a big fan of lentils. Eggplant, garlic and olive oil supplementing the Pomegranate is a go. I wish you had some pics, but I'll let my imagination run with it.

Traditional cultural food is a great source of ideas. I heard that Beethoven tapped peasant folk music for some of the source for his greater works.

I'm a big fan of lentils. Eggplant, garlic and olive oil supplementing the Pomegranate is a go. I wish you had some pics, but I'll let my imagination run with it.

I'll supply some pics - give me a day or so!

Back
Top Bottom