Recipe Rummaniyeh (Palestinian Lentil & Aubergine Stew with Pomegranate Molasses)

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:50 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Rummaniyeh is a Palestinian Lentil & Aubergine Stew with Pomegranate Molasses. It's sweet so not one for Morning Glory ! lol My recipe is adapted from this one (Rummaniyeh - Lara Abdulhadi) by Lara Abdulhadi

I had to improvise a touch because of a distinct lack of dried brown lentils currently. I suspect you could easy substitute green lentils or any lentil that holds its shape and just adjust the cooking times. I'm certain that It would be better made from dried lentils than tinned but it was all we could locate. It was certainly delicious with the tinned ones.

I may possibly make it with either no pomegranate molasses or perhaps just a half quantity next there round, simply to taste the difference. The pomegranate molasses is added right at the end, so it would not affect the overall dish to add half, try it and then add the rest. Various recipes indicate not to boil the dish after the pomegranate molasses is added because it changes the flavour significantly as the pomegranate molasses caramelises and then burns. Just something to bear in mind.

Traditionally, it is served with Mana'eesh which is a Palestinian flatbread, but you could also serve it with chapatti or pita for example. Additionally, it is served with a garlic & oil infusion and shatta (a fermented red or green chilli & garlic spice dip).

Ingredients (serves 6-8)
60 ml or 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion diced
1 tsp cumin seeds
3 tsp ground cumin
6 or 7 large cloves of garlic, crushed
2 large aubergines, cubed (1cm)
600g brown lentils washed and rinsed
1½ litres boiling water
125-150mI pomegranate molasses*
Seeds from 1 pomegranate
Salt & pepper to taste

Method
  1. Add the oil to a large pan or skillet, along with the onions, garlic and cumin seeds and gently cook for 5-10 minutes until translucent but not browning. Add the ground cumin, mix well and cook for another couple of minutes.
  2. Add the aubergine and lentils and mix. Add the boiling water, enough to cover everything and cook for 20 minutes until the lentils are cooked (if your lentils take longer to cook, you'll need to factor this in). Add more water if needed but you are aiming for a dryish dish, just don't let it stick or burn.
  3. Simmer until almost all water has evaporated before adding the pomegranate molasses. Mix in well, return to boil and remove from heat immediately.
  4. Add ½ the pomegranate seeds and stir well. Keep the other ½ for garnish.
  5. This dish is usually served cool to cold.

* a lot of pomegranate molasses has significant quantities of added sugar. You'll get the best flavour if you can find one with no added sugar.

It's sweet so not one for @Morning Glory !
What is sweet? I use pomegranate molasses a lot as it is sour which is fine by me. But I note your 'footnote' re this. The sort I use is really not sweet. The only thing I'd leave out are the pomegranate seeds. I've never really understood their appeal other than their prettiness. I think that is just me as everyone else seems to like them.

I like everything else here a lot, although I'm curious as to why its served cool or cold.

Last edited:
What is sweet? I use pomegranate molasses a lot as it is sour which is fine by me. But I note your 'footnote' re this. The sort I use is really not sweet. The only thing I'd leave out are the pomegranate seeds. I've never really understood their appeal other than their prettiness. I think that is just me as everyone else seems to like them.

I like everything else here a lot, although I'm curious as to why its served cool or cold.
No idea on the cool or cold bit other than most recipes say that. It is often served for breakfast with flatbread, so that could be it, but to be honest, since moving to Australia we often eat things cold or cool in the summer because eating something hot when its still +35°C outside just doesn't work for us. I guess it's why countries like Spain & Portugal have a siesta and eat well after dark when its cooler.

I love pomegranates, alway have done. They are definitely better outside the UK though.

My pom molasses is definitely sweet and lots is. I'm definitely going to try to find the unsweetened stuff.

Back
Top Bottom