Recipe Rusty Pelican salad

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:10 AM
The Rusty Pelican is a restaurant located on Key Biscayne, an island, and considered part of Miami, Florida. It's on the west side of the island so has sunset views. It's been there for at least 45 years, though has closed a couple of times due to fire or other issues, but always comes back.

Back when we first started going, they had a signature salad that was made tableside and served with a lightly orange flavored bread. It was served as a salad course, but we made it a salad meal by increasing the size and adding more shrimp and more of the other components.

I know it's at least 45 years old because I ate there the night before DD was born and had eaten there several times previously since moving to Miami. DD turned 43 this year. I actually wasn't due for almost another month but was huge and the hostess made a joke when she seated us that she was going to seat us where there was an easy pathway in and out just in case. She didn't know how prophetic she was.

Anyway, the combo sounds a bit different, but it's a great salad meal, especially when it's hot weather. Sometimes I make the orange bread for it, sometimes not. I'll post that recipe in another thread. We also use whatever leafy lettuce looks good, though not iceberg.

Serves 2, you'll have leftover dressing.

For the dressing:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
1/4 teaspoon parsley
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion

Salad ingredients:
4 cups red and green leaf lettuce
10 fresh white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
15-20 cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives or scallions
3/4 to 1 pound large shrimp, steamed, shelled and deveined, cooled

Mix dressing ingredients and refrigerate for at least several hours before using. Toss salad ingredients with dressing and serve immediately.

Last edited:
Does this like ok about right:

Tastes like a really good honey-mustard dipping sauce. It also got the MrsT Seal Of Approval: "I could drink this."

It doesn't use dried parsley, not sure where you got that. I never use things like dried parsley or dill or lemon zest, as I think they are gross and tasteless.
I saw the small amount and assumed it meant dried, as a quarter-teaspoon is, what, two leaves? :)

Either way, I used 3/4-teaspoon, which in itself is funny, because I made a half-recipe...until I got distracted and put it all that parsley. :laugh:

Can't say it hurt it one bit, though. :okay:

Looks right. It is good and we've used it as a dipping sauce too.
It'd be great with some breaded/fried chicken strips.

I was going to say "chicken fingers," but then I remembered an old novelty song that went something like:

Chickens don't have fingers
Brother, that's absurd
But if chickens did have fingers
They'd give us the bird!

:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom