2 slices light rye bread
1 thin slice of green or white cabbage
1 small carrot, coarsely grated
1 scallion, sliced
1 large slice of roast beef
salt & pepper
dill pickles, for serving (optional)

Directions
Heat the broiler/grill to medium-high. Meanwhile, mix the ginger with the butter.

Spread one slice of bread generously with some of the butter. Top with the cabbage, trimming any overhanging shreds and placing them back in the middle of the sandwich. Top with the carrot and scallion, keeping them away from the edge. Season lightly with salt and pepper.

Spread a little more of the butter on one side of the beef and lay it, butter side down, on the carrot. Spread the remaining butter on the second slice of bread and place it on top of the sandwich, butter side down.

Toast the sandwich under the broiler/grill on both sides, until crisp and golden. Serve immediately with pickles, if using.

Recipe courtesy of The Complete Irish Pub Cookbook

Note: corned beef would be an excellent substitute for the roast beef

I like how it's not a typical slaw with mayo or Miracle Whip. I think a horseradish mayo would be okay, though. Maybe add a slice of Swiss cheese. It looks like 3 slices of roast beef? I like it!

I like how it's not a typical slaw with mayo or Miracle Whip. I think a horseradish mayo would be okay, though. Maybe add a slice of Swiss cheese. It looks like 3 slices of roast beef? I like it!
I was really doubting the slaw factor on this, because it’s just the raw veg, really, but it worked well, and the neat freak in me appreciated that it wasn’t a messy sandwich.

That’s 1-1/2 slices of deli roast beef; one slice folded over and a half-slice extra. I was just trying to get it to look like the pic in the cookbook.

I will say, this is the first time, I think, that I ever buttered a piece of lunchmeat. :laugh:

I was really doubting the slaw factor on this, because it’s just the raw veg, really, but it worked well, and the neat freak in me appreciated that it wasn’t a messy sandwich.

That’s 1-1/2 slices of deli roast beef; one slice folded over and a half-slice extra. I was just trying to get it to look like the pic in the cookbook.

I will say, this is the first time, I think, that I ever buttered a piece of lunchmeat. :laugh:
That just was a great mindset, really. It's the not knowing, and not wanting to make a mess part...love it.

Looked like more meat, but I liked that. I love piled sandwiches! And I haven't had roast beef in the longest time.

And the layered butter while cooking sounds perfect.

Well, it looks really impressive, it is an abundant toast! I love the fresh ginger and butter combination so much! I think I will be implementing it, regardless of the challenge. What a brilliant idea. I went back to your recipe just now again, to check, there isn't any Mayonnaise is it? I gather not, also from the chat above. Roast beef and ginger and butter must taste fantastic. And the crunchy rye bread. The plating and the picture are really inviting. It is simple sandwich, but there is certain sophistication about it, too. It uses no cheese, which, to me, is a welcome variant. Dill pickled cucs, go so well together with this toast. Is this the first time you made this particular toast? Did I get that right?

You’re correct - no mayonnaise or cheese on this sandwich. I think the ginger butter fills in for the creaminess those would normally provide.

I’ve not made this particular sandwich before, but rye bread is our favorite bread for toast, so we have that fairly often.

Back
Top Bottom