Saffron

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
4:26 PM
Saffron is lauded as the most expensive and celebrated of spices. And oddly enough, its flavoring potential is very soft and easily masked by other things. It can be used as a food coloring, but why pay out that much for a food coloring?

Besides using it in Pilafs and other rice dishes, I have to wonder where else it might be used. I figure that soups, butter and cream dishes are great candidates.

I often use it to make a special variant of Clam Chowder which I call "California Gold Clam Chowder" for its golden color from the Saffron and melted butter.

For its special properties, how would you use Saffron?

I love the stuff and use it a lot. Yes, its great to flavour sauces. But you can also use it 'neat' to sprinkle on fish or chicken whilst it cooks. I've probably got quite a few recipes with saffron on the forum. I'll do a search...

Last edited:
I make a saffron flavored Beurre Blanc (Burt Blank ) for dressing fillets of sea bass
its flavoring potential is very soft and easily masked by other things.
This I disagree with mate, a little to much and it goes from a pronounced sweet earthy flavor too a bitter metallic taste.

I make a saffron flavored Beurre Blanc (Burt Blank ) for dressing fillets of sea bass

This I disagree with mate, a little to much and it goes from a pronounced sweet earthy flavor too a bitter metallic taste.

However, it is true that it can be lost if paired with some things. Put it in a very hot spicy curry sauce and you probably won't taste it very well.

I get that much. But Saffron is still easily overwhelmed. And too much does ruin it. Some people will dump teaspoons full. I can do a few threads and get a desired result.

Put it in a very hot spicy curry sauce and you probably won't taste it very well.
Morning Morning, I understand that but why would want to use it in a spicy sauce, We make Hyderadi Biryani from scratch. We stopped using saffron because it added nothing to our taste.
1605873136354.png
The yellow dots are turmeric milk.

Back
Top Bottom