Local time
6:40 AM
IMG_08931a.jpg

Salmon in banana and chilli sauce

Ingredients (to serve 2)

1 medium onion, chopped finely
1 thumb of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped finely
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped finely
2 birds eye chillis, chopped finely (optionally remove seeds & pith)
300ml banana juice
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 lime, zested and juice
Oil for frying
Handful of chopped fresh coriander leaf (for garnish)
1 Jalapeno chilli, sliced thinly (for garnish)
2 salmon steaks, skin on and de-boned

Method

In a wok, or large pan, heat a little oil, then fry the onion gently until starting to brown. Add the ginger, garlic and chopped chillis. Cook gently for a further 5 minutes.

Add the banana juice, tomato ketchup, soy sauce and lime juice and zest. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, reducing by half.

Meanwhile, preheat an oven to 180 deg C. Place the salmon on a baking sheet and season. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes (medium rare) or 15 minutes (well done).

Adjust the seasoning of the sauce, and serve with the salmon, accompanied by either rice or flatbreads. Garnish with the coriander and sliced Jalapeno.

This really looks so good with that almost black sauce. Its good to see a banana & fish dish which doesn't use coconut milk (lots do). But where do get banana juice from - and how does it look and taste?

This really looks so good with that almost black sauce. Its good to see a banana & fish dish which doesn't use coconut milk (lots do). But where do get banana juice from - and how does it look and taste?
Bought from Tesco's, but they seem to have stopped selling it now. I wish I'd bought more - it has a long shelf life. Hard to describe the taste - the nearest I can come up with is Nesquick banana milkshake.

Back
Top Bottom