Recipe Salmon Net Allumette

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
9:05 AM
This recipe requires some time and agile fingers.

Ingredients:

10 to 16 good celery sticks with tops and bottoms trimmed away
flaked pre-baked and skin free salmon
lemon juice
cilantro

Procedure:

1) Thin Julienne cut celery sticks long ways obtaining several strips of celery
2) Weave together two cross-weaved squares the size of a slice of bread from the celery strips
(weave can be thinly spaced or with medium spacing to suite preference)
3) Sew three sides of the two squares together by looping strips of celery around the edges
4) Pack flaked salmon into the "basket" so formed
5) Sew up the fourth side with a strip or two of celery
6) Lay out each salmon net allumette on a separate plate and spray with lemon juice
7) Garnish with cilantro
8) Serve cold as part of a multi-course meal or as an appeteaser (appetizer)

You'll have to experiment with the weave spacing to determine how best to contain the flaked salmon and how many celery sticks to use.

Last edited:
Is this an entry for the Recipe Challenge @flyinglentris? If so just add 'cookingbites recipe challenge' to the tags on your post (if you type the first 6 letters it appears in a dropdown box). Then add a link in the Recipe challenge thread.

I'm most interested in this recipe and would love to see a photo of how it looks.

I can't provide a photo at the moment. I don't have samples prepared. It's a simple ingredient recipe, but takes time to weave the celery baskets.

@flyinglentris
Photos are not required. The description of your dish sounds so lovely. I know the forum members would love to see the finished product. SOOOO if you could make your wonderful sounding dish and post photos we would all be grateful - and seriously impressed!

Definitely, a visual splendour .. I have seen this with smoked salmon ..

The smoked salmon thing I had debated, but have decided to keep the recipe pure. I'll explain as part of a discussion on palette cleansing.

You say that you've seen this with smoked salmon. I take that to mean that somebody else has had this idea besides me? Gosh, I thought it was a flyinglentris original! :cry:

Photos are not required. The description of your dish sounds so lovely. I know the forum members would love to see the finished product. SOOOO if you could make your wonderful sounding dish and post photos we would all be grateful - and seriously impressed!

I had planned this as part of my New Year's Evening meal which would be multi-course. SOOOO, there is opportunity to get photos, but not until after the new year starts. I had been very influenced by this whole celery thing with regard to palette cleansing in this planned multi-course meal. I have therefore felt the need to open a thread on palette cleansing https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/palette-cleansing.11622/ to cover the multi-course concept and how celery lends itself to palette cleansing. The whole meal plan is explained in that thread. If you have questions or thoughts on multi-course and palette cleansing applied there-to, post your thoughts and questions there. I'll follow these threads and add my own 2 cents as I might see a need to.

Enjoy your holidays.

You say that you've seen this with smoked salmon. I take that to mean that somebody else has had this idea besides me? Gosh, I thought it was a flyinglentris original! :cry:

Hmmm. I did a search for Salmon Net Allumette and yes, it turned up results. But what I found is not the same as what I am presenting here. Frankly, I didn't find any nets out there, just cuts. Just one net actually, salmon wrapped around julienne cut greens, forming a cup atop some sort of crackers.

On the cutting board, julienne cut, allumette cut and french cut are synonymous. Since this recipe involves cutting thin strips of celery, the word allumette applies, as does net. My search on the web seems to indicate that allumette regards a variety of thicker items, not just cuts of vegetables or meats, but also pasta and baked goods, thick as french fries. And that reveals why french fried potatoes are french fries - french cut. At 61 going on 62, I still learn something new.

It seems the name for my recipe is used in many different ways, elsewhere. But I'll keep the name. It applies. And I like the name.

The smoked salmon thing I had debated, but have decided to keep the recipe pure. I'll explain as part of a discussion on palette cleansing.

Basque 9 Michelin Star Chef Martin Berasategui - 3 Michelin Star Restaurant Lasarte, Barcelona .. and 3 Michelin Star Lasarte, San Sebastian, The Basque Country ..

Not uncommon in upscale cuisine in Iberia .. I have seen it amongst non Michelin status Chefs too ..

It is quite a delight but all done with Gravlax or Smoked Salmon !

A 12 hour plane trip to San Francisco, California from Prat Airport, Barcelona or Madrid Barajas Airport !! So, enjoy your creation.

Sounds lovely and Happy New Year ..

Back
Top Bottom