Salsa: its meaning and pronunciation

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:22 AM
[Mod.edit: this post and others moved to form a new topic. (MG)]

Yep . I think the hardest thing about risotto is (a) how "creamy" you like it; in other words, more stock, more stirring the rice to release the starch and (b) whether you like it "al dente" or just cooked a little more.
And those two questions, just like "Is salsa alfredo american?" and "does salsa carbonara have cream in it?"...
will never be resolved.😎😎
I have never heard of salsa Alfredo or salsa carbonara, either, and I have been living in the US for most of my life!

Last edited by a moderator:
Salsa just means sauce.
Ah, to me (and probably to most Americans) it means a Mexican-style sauce made with tomatoes, peppers, onion, etc. for dipping tortilla chips in. Or a dance/music style, LOL! Which I can't do.

Edited to add: Apparently Miriam Webster thinks so as well.

salsa​

noun

sal·sa | \ ˈsȯl-sə , ˈsäl- \

Definition of salsa

1: a usually spicy sauce of chopped tomatoes, onions, and peppers that is commonly served with Mexican food also : a similar sauce made with a main ingredient other than tomatoes peach salsa
2: popular music of Latin American origin that has absorbed characteristics of rhythm and blues, jazz, and rock

Disclaimer: it didn't occur to me that it might mean something different in another country.

Last edited:
Yeah that's one definition.

salsa meaning - Search
It pulls up the same definition when I click on it...

Salsa is just Spanish for sauce. Here (US), it’s taken to mean the stuff you eat with tortilla chips, but it’s used more generically in the UK/Europe.

Around here, BTW, it’s frequently pronounced with the first syllable rhyming with “gal.”

Salsa is just Spanish for sauce. Here (US), it’s taken to mean the stuff you eat with tortilla chips, but it’s used more generically in the UK/Europe.

Around here, BTW, it’s frequently pronounced with the first syllable rhyming with “gal.”
I pronounce it more like Saul-sa.

Okay, I might be smelling a distinct whiff of new thread topic here, LOL...

That's how I pronounce it.
Yeah, but how do you pronounce gal? It could be different than Southern Ohio dialect, LOL!

On an added note, I love how many Canadians pronounce "about". Totally different from the US.

Back
Top Bottom