Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samrin Nosrat

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
6:32 AM
I got this book for Christmas (amazing how Santa knew exactly what I wanted!):

51k7pSCzsFL._SX260_.jpg

For someone trying to constantly improve as a cook I find it pretty interesting so far, as the author dives into how to work with these four key factors. I'm about a third of the way through it so far.

Anyone else read it? It also has a Netflix series.

I've heard of it and toyed with getting it but fear its a book that needs reading through from beginning to end. I think I wouldn't do that... I prefer something I can use as a reference book and to spark ideas.

A book I use a lot is The Flavour Thesaurus by Nikki Segnit. What I like about it is you don't need to (nor are expected to) read it from beginning to end. Its a reference book but not a 'dry' one. Its great book to dip into, very wittily written and full of information about pairing ingredients and why they work together. Great fun and very well researched.

It's a great book, the Netflix series hardly does it justice. It explains to a novice cook the things that experienced cooks "just know", things that don't often get taught because the people who have this knowledge think it's too obvious to bother explaining.

It's a great book, the Netflix series hardly does it justice. It explains to a novice cook the things that experienced cooks "just know", things that don't often get taught because the people who have this knowledge think it's too obvious to bother explaining.
Your assuming experienced cooks "just know". experienced cooks know otherwise. :okay:

I've heard of it and toyed with getting it but fear its a book that needs reading through from beginning to end. I think I wouldn't do that... I prefer something I can use as a reference book and to spark ideas.

A book I use a lot is The Flavour Thesaurus by Nikki Segnit. What I like about it is you don't need to (nor are expected to) read it from beginning to end. Its a reference book but not a 'dry' one. Its great book to dip into, very wittily written and full of information about pairing ingredients and why they work together. Great fun and very well researched.
You sparked my interest MG, I'm going to order that book. Cheers!

You sparked my interest MG, I'm going to order that book. Cheers!

Personally I ignore her 'flavour wheel' at the beginning of the book as I'm not sure its useful (to me, anyway). But the fun is her witty writing - plus you can look up an ingredient in the index and it gives you 'pairings'. I get ideas from it really. Its not a recipe book although there are a few recipes embedded - nothing fancy. I hope you enjoy it.

Personally I ignore her 'flavour wheel' at the beginning of the book as I'm not sure its useful (to me, anyway). But the fun is her witty writing - plus you can look up an ingredient in the index and it gives you 'pairings'. I get ideas from it really. Its not a recipe book although there are a few recipes embedded - nothing fancy. I hope you enjoy it.
That's fine with me. I generally never buy cookbooks for the recipes anyway although on occasion if there's a specific technique that is required and I'm not familiar I will follow through to get the results.

I have the book and I've watched the Netflix series, definitely love both (I haven't read the entiree book through though!).

I also have The Flavour Thesaurus. Great book both if you're starting to get acquainted with some ingredients and if you're looking for really creative ingredient combinations.

You're right - the Netflix show was more like a travel/food show.

Back
Top Bottom