Recipe Sambal French and runner beans with tempeh

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
9:21 PM
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
A powerful, fresh and zesty curry. Indonesian sambal dishes usually contain the pungent belachan chilli and dried shrimp paste. However, sambal olek chilli paste (vegetarian) and fermented soy tempeh are is now widely available and work well as substitutes.
(From Leon: Fast Vegetarian)

Ingredients
150g French beans
150g runner beans
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
120g tempeh, thinly sliced
3 tsp vegetarian sambal olek
½ tsp tamarind paste
A pinch of sugar
3 tbsp hot water
Salt and black pepper

Method
Top and tail the French beans and cut the strings from the runner beans, then thinly slice them diagonally.

2 Cook the onion in the oil in a shallow frying pan over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, mix well and cook for a few more minutes. Add the tempeh and turn up the heat to brown for a few minutes.

3 Quickly add the rest of the ingredients including the beans and water.

4 Stir well and turn the heat up for 5 minutes, then cover the pan, turn the heat to low and leave for another 5 minutes. The beans should be tender and coated with the sauce. Season well and serve.

Serves 4

Last edited:
I make a runner bean and turmeric pickle along these lines ,it can be spiced up I am using it with grilled goats cheese ,I will try to find the original recipe and post

I'm loving this. It ticks all my boxes: vegetarian, spicy, hot chilli, shrimp paste (adore it) and to cap it all, runner beans . N.B. the latter is a reference to an ongoing debate (argument?) in the 'Know your greens!' thread.

I haven't heard beans called by this name before. I am guessing these are different kind of string beans? It sounds really good. I've never had some of those ingredients but it's inspiring me to try new things.

I'm loving this. It ticks all my boxes: vegetarian, spicy, hot chilli, shrimp paste (adore it) and to cap it all, runner beans . N.B. the latter is a reference to an ongoing debate (argument?) in the 'Know your greens!' thread.
There's one for Green Beans as well

Back
Top Bottom