@satnav it's raining its pouring

It's been a nice steady rain since last night in Sydney & surrounds - not sure how much of it is getting to where SNSSO is at the moment.
At this stage it's not heavy enough to help with the major fires and may even be risky as there's lots of lightning still about, but it will certainly help some of the smaller ones, and more importantly provide some morale-boosting for the firies who are out in it every day.
We need it to rain solidly for at least a week

Not much.

Yesterday, it finally rained for about 30 minutes as it was going dark (yeah, thanks for that, dark= lockup time for chooks).
I actually got a loads of washing done a dry yesterday that's how much I thought It was going to rain in the absense of any clouds!

We had an entire 1mm of rain yesterday. Canberra was slightly more lucky with 4.0mm of rain but Goulburn only got 0.4mm of rain.

Name of those quantities are going to do any good. 1mm of rain over 1m² gives 1 litre of water. My catchment area is at best 15m x 30m if I'm being generous. So thats 450 liters of water. And in all likelihood that is being exceptionally generous on the measurements of the shearing barn.
As for the quantity, a few years ago hubby bought me a digital weather station for my birthday, so I have no reason to question the quantities because they usually tie in with the 'local' offical weatherstation records.

To be honest, all of the areas that were reported to have had +60mm of rain in less than an hour and so on, I have not heard of, so they can't be local to us.

Sadly the next forecast rain, the chance and the quantities are falling faster than the rain was and all are thunderstorms. All that did was leave 4 grass/bushfires from lightning strikes within a 20km radius of my home! I'd rather give up the 450 liters of rain that we may have added to the tank (22,000 liters when full).

Sorry to be so negative. 6 weeks or more of being locked up inside with little hope of getting out is getting to me. I have a plan for tomorrow, but everthing depends on which way the wind is blowing tomorrow. The RFS made a public announcement during the week that the King's Highway was open again (to Bateman's Bay) and that they actually wanted tourists to return. So if the wind is blowing strongly enough tomorrow off the sea, we're going to drive to the coast, just for a coffee to help out the businesses there (and maybe cake if I can find anywhere selling vegan food).
if its blowing the other way, then we'll see how far inland we need to drive...

My cousin in Queensland posted pics of torrential rain, he lives on a river way place, he says people's wharfs are floating past his house. They want it to stop now. Sheesh. He's near mermaid waters on the gc.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom