1 teaspoon kosher salt
1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces sausage
1⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 ear of corn
1 large egg
2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions
  1. Place corn in a pot of boiling water. Return water to a boil, and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from water. When cool, cut kernels from the cob and set aside.
  2. Start heating 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small cooking pot on medium heat. NOTES: 1) other kinds of oil can be used instead if desired; 2) a small pot will allow less oil to be used: the fritters need to be at least partly immersed in the oil.
  3. Pan fry sausage and set aside.
  4. Blend cornflour, baking powder, and 1/2 tablespoon of salt in a mixing bowl.
  5. Beat egg separately, then combine with ingredients in bowl.
  6. Add corn kernels and sausage to the mixture and blend thoroughly.
  7. Carefully use a spoon to place spoonfuls of the mixture into the oil. Patty-shaped fritters work best in a shallow pan, but you can make them any size or shape. Don't drop the batter into the oil.
  8. The fritters cook very quickly in a shallow pot because they're closer to the heat. Watch the underside of the fritter for browning. The fritter can brown in as little as 30 seconds, depending on how hot the pot is.
  9. Carefully flip the fritter over with a fork. Remove from heat when the fritter is browned.
  10. Placed finished fritters on a paper towel to remove excess grease.
  11. Sprinkle remaining salt on the fritters while still hot.
  12. Use a blend of sweet and sour sauce and hot sauce for dipping if desired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cornflour in UK = cornstarch in US.
But what is cornflour in US?
Corn flour. It is flour ground from corn which is slightly different from cornmeal. If you post stalk me, somewhere on this forum is a picture of corn starch, corn meal and corn flour. The flour is most commonly used in making tamales and corn tortillas.

I feel like I'm splitting hairs - but @The Late Night Gourmet writes 'cornflour' (one word) which is how it is written in the UK., whereas you refer to corn flour. I think we better leave him to answer!
That is why I posted to him in the first place US or UK.
Interesting. Every other sausage fritter recipe I found uses flour. So now I am really confused.

LNG come back, we need you more than your mother does lol.

I thought it might have been just with the quantity and the fact you are in the US.
Thanks for a new use for it.
We use the same brand.

Back
Top Bottom