Recipe Sausage Roll Wreath

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:12 AM
A bit of fun for Christmas and very easy to make if you use ready rolled puff pastry. I think next time I'd increase the amount of sausage meat as I think the wreath would look better a bit fatter!

Ingredients
Puff pastry (home made or ready rolled)
300g good quality pork sausages
1/2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
1 tsp juniper berries, crushed
Beaten egg to glaze

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 180 C
  2. Squeeze the sausage meat out of the skins and mix with the fennel seeds and juniper berries. The easiest way to do this is with your hands.
  3. Cut the pastry into two 30 x 12 cm rectangles
  4. Shape the meat into a sausage and place down the centre of each rectangle of the pastry. Brush the edges with the egg and bring the pastry together to seal.
  5. Place on a baking tray with seam down and shape into a ring, pinching the ends together.
  6. Decorate with leaves or other shapes, cut from left over pastry.
  7. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 30 mins until well risen and golden.
  8. Serve warm with cranberry sauce/relish.

That's really pretty and sounds yummy, Morning Glory.

For Americans, what is pork sausage in this recipe?

Pork sausages (also known as 'bangers') look like this when cooked:

1604931135081.png

The contents of pork sausages varies. As well as pork sausage meat (ground pork) they often contain some herbs such as sage. Depending on price and type they also contain varying amounts of fillers such as breadcrumbs. Traditionally, pork sausages contain rather finely ground pork although in recent times there has been a trend for coarsely ground pork. Maybe the nearest equivalent is the American breakfast sausage.

Pork sausages (also known as 'bangers') look like this when cooked:

View attachment 50140

The contents of pork sausages varies. As well as pork sausage meat (ground pork) they often contain some herbs such as sage. Depending on price and type they also contain varying amounts of fillers such as breadcrumbs. Traditionally, pork sausages contain rather finely ground pork although in recent times there has been a trend for coarsely ground pork. Maybe the nearest equivalent is the American breakfast sausage.

Thanks. I Google'd pork sausage and thought it looked like what we call breakfast sausage. I was trying to figure out why one would need to remove it from the casings because we can buy breakfast sausage in bulk which lead to me wondering if your recipe was for some other kind of sausage.

Image6.png

In case you haven't noticed yet, I overthink things. I need to stop doing that! ;-)

Italian sausage is different than breakfast sausage here in the US. Different seasonings. I would use either one for Morning Glory's recipe. I can envision this recipe served as a breakfast or lunch/dinner and most certainly a holiday party.
I made sausage rolls out of any of these I buy and skin when in the UK Waitrose & Partners

That's really pretty and sounds yummy, Morning Glory.

For Americans, what is pork sausage in this recipe?

In south Louisiana many neighborhood, locally owned markets make fresh pork sausage. The market 1/4 mile from home has an assortment of house made fresh sausages. In addition they serve plate lunches, make boudin, both pork and chicken cracklins, boneless stuffed chickens, stuffed pork chops, gumbo, and soups, ready for the grill stuffed mushrooms, jalapeno poppers, chicken poppers, formed and seasoned burger patties and seasoned chicken both whole and cut into parts. I know there are other things I have forgotten. A couple of years ago I spent a week with my Brother in Denver. He asked me to make a gumbo. I carried a small cooler with Andouille, fresh pork sausage and Tasso.

Morning Glory your sausage ring really is perfect for a Holiday gathering.

Back
Top Bottom