Savarin

summerdays

Guru
Local time
10:36 AM
I watched the Bake Off last night and decided I was tempted by the Savarin recipe... I'm sure I've had it years ago but never made it. I don't have the right tin. I have a shallow silicone dish (sunflower design) that I was thinking of using but I've no idea of the quantities. I assume I need it to be not too deep to get the syrup soaked in afterwards. I can fit 2 litres of water in the mould, would that be about right for this recipe? It calls for a 9 inch bundt tin.

Well I was impatient and I'm seeing what happens... I'm not sure it's too much mixture as it's already over half wY up before proving, still better to mess up this one than the proper one I'd like to do on Sunday for my Mum if it works out.

Ahhh, you are going to get a soggy middle unless you have an oven proof glass you can put in the tin. Ideally a metal one or something similar. I think they are designed that way for more than cosmetic reasons.

I found this piece of information...

When using round cake pans in place of a bundt pan, use two 8-inch or two 9-inch ones. Tube pans and springform pans are also good alternatives to bundt pans. A 9-inch tube pan works well and the springform pan should measure around 10 inches in size.

So I think you need 2, which would again make the center cook better.... hope its OK @summerdays

Here is the finished article, I didn't manage to get the syrup to soak right through. And it perhaps wasn't as light in texture as I would like, but not soggy in the middle (apart from the syrup that didn't soak in :happy:)
IMG_8967.JPG

Here is the finished article, I didn't manage to get the syrup to soak right through. And it perhaps wasn't as light in texture as I would like, but not soggy in the middle (apart from the syrup that didn't soak in :happy:)View attachment 3540
@summerdays , please post this as a separate recipe thread! We really want and need original photos in recipes threads here! I watched the bake off and the making of savarins and I think you have done a grand job!

I darent cut another slice tonight so here is the cake itself. As you see not quite as light as I would have liked but a thumbs up from the family.View attachment 3542

It looks fully saturated to me!

Back
Top Bottom