Recipe Savory Bacon and Cheese-Infused Muffins with Cricket Flour

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
12:28 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Yes, cricket flour, from real crickets!

This makes savory baked muffins, and they are actually quite good.

As someone who tries (nearly) everything once, I decided to try insects. The flour (cricket bits ground up) itself is a tan/brown in color.

cricket-muffins-served.jpg

Cricket nutrition? This packet has, per serving:
    • 4.5 grams fat
      • Saturated fat 1.5 grams
      • Trans fat 0 grams
    • Cholesterol 30 mg
    • Sodium 95 mg
    • Total carb 4 grams
      • Dietary fiber 3 grams
      • Total sugar 0 grams
    • Protein 21 grams

A serving also contains 15% or more of calcium, iron and potassium. But we will note here the package indicates that a serving is 1/3 cup - and I used half a cup to make 6 large muffins below - and one muffin is quite nice alongside dinner!

This recipe is adapted from Bacon Infused Cheese Muffins with Cricket Flour!

I modified the amounts of regular wheat flour to cricket flour - I actually increased the ratio in favor of the crickets. And I flung in a scant handful of rolled oatmeal flakes. Just because!

Prep Time: 15 minutes.
Cook Time: 17-20 minutes.
Rest Time: Maybe ten minutes to cool enough for handling.
Serves: 6-maybe 8 muffins.
Cuisine: Insectivore.
Leftovers: Yes.

Savory Bacon and Cheese Infused Muffins with Cricket Flour

• 1 ¼ cup 300 mL all purpose flour
  • ½ cup / 120 mL cricket flour
  • 1 scant handful of rolled oatmeal flakes
  • ¼ cup / 60 mL sugar
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • 1 beaten egg
  • ¾ cup / 180 mL flax seed milk (or other milk)
  • 1/3 cup / 80 mL oil (preferably from bacon drippings, fill out any extra needed with regular cooking oil of your choice.)
  • ½ cup / 120 mL shredded sharp cheese. Cheddar, Asiago, or whichever is to hand....
  • 4 cooked bacon slices. This is the US bacon here. Cook to crispy.

Preheat oven to 400°F, and grease muffin tin.

Combine flour, cricket flour, oats, sugar, baking powder in a medium-sized mixing bowl.

In a separate bowl combine egg, milk, and oil.

Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, mixing only until just incorporated.

Break bacon into small pieces, then add bacon and cheese to the muffin batter, reserving some for topping. Mix. .

Ladle the mixture into the muffin pan, top with a little cheese and bacon, then bake for about 17-19 minutes. An inserted toothpick should come clean. (You could also remove the tin from the oven when only a couple minutes are left, and add the cheese portion then, and return to the oven.)

I found the recipe to be tasty, and perhaps a bit earthy, but in a good way, as if one has eaten a more whole-wheat source of flour.

You are adventurous and I commend you for it! There is no doubt that insects are nutritious but despite the fact they have been hailed as the new source of protein for maybe 20 years or so, it still doesn't seem to have caught on in the Western world.

I'd certainly try them. The question is - would you make them again?

You are adventurous and I commend you for it! There is no doubt that insects are nutritious but despite the fact they have been hailed as the new source of protein for maybe 20 years or so, it still doesn't seem to have caught on in the Western world.

I'd certainly try them. The question is - would you make them again?
Yes, I would definitely make these again!!

Back
Top Bottom