500g (1lb) lean beef mince
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
200ml (1/3 pint) beef stock
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
To finish
400g (13oz) frozen peas
2 medium carrots, scrubbed and coarsely grated
small handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, to garnish

1. Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water for 20 minutes, or until tender to the point of a knife. Drain well, return to the pan and mash with a generous twist of black pepper. Using a wooden spoon, gradually beat in the butter and warm milk until the mash is smooth and fluffy.
  2. While the potatoes cook, put the olive oil in a large, deep-sided frying pan and place over a medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, until soft. Stir in the garlic and tomato purée and cook for 1 minute, followed by the beef mince. Cook this, stirring to break up any clumps, for 5 minutes, until no pink remains. Now stir in the Worcestershire sauce, beef stock and dried herbs. Simmer briskly for 10 minutes, stirring often, until the mince is coated in a rich sauce and is no longer watery.
  3. Cook the peas in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes. Drain well.
  4. Spoon the hot mince into a large, clear-sided serving bowl, flattening it out with the back of a spoon. Quickly top with the peas in a single layer, followed by the grated carrot. Finish with large spoonfuls of mash, gently spreading it out to cover the carrot. Decorate with parsley leaves and serve straightaway.

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/savoury-beef-trifle.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Not your average trifle!
Ingredients
For the mash potatoes

1.5kg (3lb) white potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
30g (1oz) salted butter, diced
200ml (1/3 pint) whole milk, warmed
For the mince layer
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp tomato purée
500g (1lb) lean beef mince
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
200ml (1/3 pint) beef stock
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
To finish
400g (13oz) frozen peas
2 medium carrots, scrubbed and coarsely grated
small handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, to garnish

1. Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water for 20 minutes, or until tender to the point of a knife. Drain well, return to the pan and mash with a generous twist of black pepper. Using a wooden spoon, gradually beat in the butter and warm milk until the mash is smooth and fluffy.
  2. While the potatoes cook, put the olive oil in a large, deep-sided frying pan and place over a medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, until soft. Stir in the garlic and tomato purée and cook for 1 minute, followed by the beef mince. Cook this, stirring to break up any clumps, for 5 minutes, until no pink remains. Now stir in the Worcestershire sauce, beef stock and dried herbs. Simmer briskly for 10 minutes, stirring often, until the mince is coated in a rich sauce and is no longer watery.
  3. Cook the peas in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes. Drain well.
  4. Spoon the hot mince into a large, clear-sided serving bowl, flattening it out with the back of a spoon. Quickly top with the peas in a single layer, followed by the grated carrot. Finish with large spoonfuls of mash, gently spreading it out to cover the carrot. Decorate with parsley leaves and serve straightaway.

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/savoury-beef-trifle.html

Reminds me of Shepard's Pie!! Hah!! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
@classic33

This is a wonderful idea .. So many trifle variations .. The plating idea is splendidly superb ..

I have to think about how to do this at home, without using ground or minced beef and turn it into something more locally Mediterranean !

Perhaps, sautéed prawns, sliced finely and prepared in a food processor and layered with sautéed fennel or leek .. And scoop out baked potato, and put in a blender to obtain a velvety texture without the use of dairy and top with caramelised shallot or onion .. Just running my engines ..

Thank you for posting .. Truly like the presentation ..

Personally I think this is hysterical! I find it hard to believe that Tesco's can post this recipe with a 'straight face'! I mean - why would you want to do this? :laugh:

One purpose, I suppose might be to persuade kiddies to dig in and eat. That might work. The main problem is that its all going to get cold unless you assemble and serve at lightening speed.

.....I just looked at the website again and it does mention kid appeal. :okay:

Personally I think this is hysterical! I find it hard to believe that Tesco's can post this recipe with a 'straight face'! I mean - why would you want to do this? :laugh:

One purpose, I suppose might be to persuade kiddies to dig in and eat. That might work. The main problem is that its all going to get cold unless you assemble and serve at lightening speed.

.....I just looked at the website again and it does mention kid appeal. :okay:
And a trifle is a dessert!!!

Back
Top Bottom