Recipe Savoy cabbage with fennel, rosemary and beans

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:02 AM
The aniseed flavour of fennel is a very good partner for cabbage and rosemary adds a lovely aromatic flavour to this dish. Use any sort of beans you wish. I used borlotti, because I had some to use up but green flageolet beans or haricot beans would look pretty. I served this dish with potatoes as a light vegetarian lunch but it would also make a good side dish with with sausages, grilled meat or boiled ham.

Ingredients (serves 2)
½ bulb of fennel, sliced (not to thinly)
1 fat garlic clove, slivered
30g butter
50ml white wine
120g Savoy cabbage
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
75ml cabbage water
200g tinned borlotti beans (drained weight)
50ml double cream
Salt to taste

Method
  1. Melt the butter in a fairly large pan (large enough to add the cabbage leaves later). A flat bottomed chef’s pan or deep frying pan is a good choice.
  2. When the butter foams, add the garlic slivers and cook gently for 30 seconds. Add the wine and heat until simmering. Add the slices of fennel. Cook on a very low heat until the fennel is tender (approx. 20 mins).
  3. Whilst the fennel is cooking, slice the cabbage leaves, removing any thick stems. Blanche the cabbage in boiling water for a few minutes. Drain, reserving 75ml of the cabbage water.
  4. When the fennel is tender, add the cabbage, cabbage water and rosemary to the pan. Simmer until the cabbage is cooked to your liking.
  5. Add the beans and cream and heat through. Add salt to taste.

Last edited:
Beautiful! I am imagining the taste of fennel and cabbage, it sort of elevates it, it gives me the impression of a very elegant dish, sophisticated. It must be very light too, but also filling by the beans. And the beans ground it, I love the fact one can interchange different beans. And the pictures are as beautiful as always.

Back
Top Bottom