Sayings: logical/illogical/translated

One from my parents: “Showing your hind end,” which means going somewhere and revealing through your behavior that you have poor manners and weren’t raised correctly - you don’t know how to act in public.

“Yay! Aunt Kathleen is taking me to the zoo today!”
“Boy, now don’t you get out there and show your hind end!” - make sure you’re well-behaved.

One from my parents: “Showing your hind end,” which means going somewhere and revealing through your behavior that you have poor manners and weren’t raised correctly - you don’t know how to act in public.

“Boy, now don’t you get out there and show your hind end!” - make sure you’re well-behaved.
I have to confess that was not the explanation that came to mind for "Showing your hind end".

My parents version of that was “You spoil yourself” which at first glance probably sounds like you’re giving yourself a nice treat but it meant you would be perfectly fine or lovely if you didn’t do that and spoil (as in ruin) yourself!

Back
Top Bottom