Recipe Scallops with Jerusalem Artichoke Veloutée and Coffee, Black Cardamom and Walnut Crumb

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:22 PM
It might sound strange to use coffee in savoury recipes but its not as uncommon as you might think. There are plenty of recipes using coffee as a rub for meat for example and coffee added to molés too. Perhaps not so many recipes pair seafood with coffee, but I thought why not?

I served this to two 'victims' without telling them there was coffee involved. They both liked it and couldn't quite work out what it was. I reckon that the slightly bitter taste of the coffee works well with the sweet scallop and earthy artichoke. I left the orange roe on the scallops although most chefs tend to remove them (why?).

The veloutée is very simple to make. Lots of veloutée recipes include shallots or onions but this one is simply artichokes and almond milk. The artichoke taste really shines through, I think. You could use cow's milk in which case add a touch of cream.

20180112_142614.jpg

Ingredients (Serves 2)
2 or 3 scallops per person
Butter for frying
200g jerusalem artichokes
Almond milk (approx 250ml)
White pepper
Salt to taste
A little cream (optional)
Truffle oil (optional)

For the crumb (makes far more crumb than you need)

4 walnuts
10 coffee beans
1 black cardamom pod

Method
To make the veloutée
  • Peel the artichokes and cut into small pieces. Place in a saucepan and pour over with almond milk to amply cover the artichokes.
  • Simmer the artichokes in the milk until tender. If there is a lot of liquid remaining then simmer for a few more minutes to reduce.
  • Puree the artichokes and milk (I used a stick blender). If the mixture seems too thick add more almond milk. Add white pepper and salt to taste. Add a little cream (optional). Return the veloutee to the pan so that it can be re-heated as required.
To make the crumb
  • Place all the ingredients in a spice grinder and grind to a moist powder. N.B. This will produce more crumb than you need.
To cook the scallops
  • Melt butter in a non-stick pan and cook the scallops for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until seared and golden.
20180112_142405.jpg

Last edited:
Elegant photography.

Coffee is very common in Michelin level cuisine in both savory and sweet recipes here on the Iberian Peninsula ..

@morning glory

1) Nine Michelin Star Martin Berasategui: ( *** Michelin Star Restaurante Lasarte - San Sebastian, The Basque Country ) ..

A) Subtle sublime Norway Bay Lobsters ( Scampi ) braised on flame, with anise and Nepal Lamjung Coffee and served in a bowl with Marine Algaes ..
B) Exquisite wild Seabass at low temperature, with a velouté of Barnacles & Kilimanjaro Peaberry Coffee with Marine Algaes ..

2) 1 Michelin Star Young Gun, José Antonio Gonzales ( Michelin Star Restaurant El Nuevo Molino )

Crown Roast of Lamb, Coffee and sweetbreads of Lamb .. The coffee was combined with lamb oven pan juices, Brown sugar & Cream to create a Salsa which was drawn on the plate ..

3) Kobe rib eye ( coffee as a rub )

4) Risotto ..

5) Beef tenderloin ( as a rub )

6) Melted anchovies in coffee !

7) All types of rib roasts ( as a rub )

There are thousands of coffee concoctions from well known and relatively new Young chefs on the Iberian Peninsula ..

Last edited:
It might sound strange to use coffee in savoury recipes but its not as uncommon as you might think. There are plenty of recipes using coffee as a rub for meat for example and coffee added to molés too. Perhaps not so many recipes pair seafood with coffee, but I thought why not?

I served this to two 'victims' without telling them there was coffee involved. They both liked it and couldn't quite work out what it was. I reckon that the slightly bitter taste of the coffee works well with the sweet scallop and earthy artichoke. I left the orange roe on the scallops although most chefs tend to remove them (why?).

The veloutée is very simple to make. Lots of veloutée recipes include shallots or onions but this one is simply artichokes and almond milk. The artichoke taste really shines through, I think. You could use cow's milk in which case add a touch of cream.

View attachment 12858

Ingredients (Serves 2)
2 or 3 scallops per person
Butter for frying
200g jerusalem artichokes
Almond milk (approx 250ml)
White pepper
Salt to taste
A little cream (optional)
Truffle oil (optional)

For the crumb (makes far more crumb than you need)

4 walnuts
10 coffee beans
1 black cardamom pod

Method
To make the veloutée
  • Peel the artichokes and cut into small pieces. Place in a saucepan and pour over with almond milk to amply cover the artichokes.
  • Simmer the artichokes in the milk until tender. If there is a lot of liquid remaining then simmer for a few more minutes to reduce.
  • Puree the artichokes and milk (I used a stick blender). If the mixture seems too thick add more almond milk. Add white pepper and salt to taste. Add a little cream (optional). Return the veloutee to the pan so that it can be re-heated as required.
To make the crumb
  • Place all the ingredients in a spice grinder and grind to a moist powder. N.B. This will produce more crumb than you need.
To cook the scallops
  • Melt butter in a non-stick pan and cook the scallops for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until seared and golden.
View attachment 12857
Wow! I have to try this recipe

Thanks Morning Glory
I made this yesterday (with only a few small changes) and it was delicious.

I don't have coffee beans so left that bit out
I'd run out of walnuts, so I used pine nuts instead - I didn't toast them as I wanted the buttery taste/texture which went perfectly with the smoky cardamom
I didn't puree the artichoke milk mix completely, I left a few bits for some texture. I also added a dash of dry white wine to the mix

My friends both loved it, and we are all Jerusalem artichoke converts now, so thanks so much for posting the link to this.

My friends both loved it, and we are all Jerusalem artichoke converts now, so thanks so much for posting the link to this.

Hey - that's great! I can't tell you how much I appreciate feedback, good or bad. All the recipes I post are invented (unless it says otherwise) so I only have myself to judge it!

The only problem with Jerusalem Artichokes is peeling them. You don't have to, you can scrub them - but for a dish like this they do need peeling. I like the addition of white wine you made. :okay:

When I was forced to give up my beloved Marlboro reds 7/8 years ago, two predominant things happened.
1, after a while the true flavor of food was more apparent.
2, this changed my cooking style dramatically. I prefer simplicity now.
Glory your plate looks splendid and shows your skills. In a heartbeat if you cooked it for me I would scoff the lot, but if I had the scallops I would stop at your great looking sear.

Last edited:
When I was forced to give up my beloved Marlboro reds 7/8 years ago, two predominant things happened.
1, after a while the true flavor of food was more apparent.
2, this changed my cooking style dramatically. I prefer simplicity now.
Glory your plate looks splendid and shows your skills. In a heartbeat if you cooked it for me I would scoff the lot, but if I had the scallops I would stop at your great looking sear.

Same here,but not Marlboro . Smoke free 14 years, taste buds work good now. :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom