Scollops wrapped in Bacon.jpg

Ingredients;

3lbs sea scallops.
2lb regular sliced bacon.
Black pepper.
Tooth picks.

Directions;

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lay each slice of bacon in large roasting pans in single layer. Place in oven and bake just until slices are half-cooked, but still bendable, about 5 - 6 minutes. Do not cook until crisp yet!

Meanwhile, wash scallops in cold water. Any pieces that are too large, they can be cut in half. Remove bacon from oven. It should still be half-cooked and still flexible. Place bacon slices on a platter and allow to cool. Do not discard bacon grease! Leave in pans. Sprinkle lightly with black pepper.

When cooled, cut each slice in half. Wrap each half slice of bacon around each piece of scallop & secure each end with a tooth pick all the way through. Place each wrapped scallop back in same pans in single layer.. Bake in oven at about 350 degrees just until bacon is golden brown and scallops feel springy to the touch, about six to eight minutes. Do not overcook, or bacon will be to dark and scallops will feel like rubber when eaten!

Remove from oven. Place hot wrapped scallops onto a serving dish. Enjoy! :wink:

If you use sliced spec or Serrano ham you won't have to go through all that pre cook the bacon malarkey ,or if you must I would insist on a dry cure streaky bacon ,
I prefer not washing my scallops to much ,straight out of the shell you will need a quick swill and on to paper towel but if I'm busy I always use what we call dry cut hand dived scallops ,but in the UK at the moment they are not at their best due to the warmer sea temps ,but they are still good quality off the scotish Coast ,
I am using a crispy Serrano ham served with my scallops at the moment ,with a lemon thyme and put lentil risotto , I sell hundreds of pounds worth a week ,but your right don't over cook them , keep them under and they will keep cooking with their residual heat while you serve them

If you use sliced spec or Serrano ham you won't have to go through all that pre cook the bacon malarkey ,or if you must I would insist on a dry cure streaky bacon ,
I prefer not washing my scallops to much ,straight out of the shell you will need a quick swill and on to paper towel but if I'm busy I always use what we call dry cut hand dived scallops ,but in the UK at the moment they are not at their best due to the warmer sea temps ,but they are still good quality off the scotish Coast ,
I am using a crispy Serrano ham served with my scallops at the moment ,with a lemon thyme and put lentil risotto , I sell hundreds of pounds worth a week ,but your right don't over cook them , keep them under and they will keep cooking with their residual heat while you serve them

The recipe that I posted above is the only one that I've done in the past, and is the only one that I feel comfy with and will ever do. :wink:

The recipe that I posted above is the only one that I've done in the past, and is the only one that I feel comfy with and will ever do. :wink:
With expensive commodities it is just getting the best you can and treating it with love ,I can spot a good scallop the colour how wet it is ,I don't want any excess moisture in my cooking of the scallop ,I want the. to hit the hot pan and caramalize and sear not bubble and boil in moisture ,I never season scallops till they are cooked even if there is no bacon ,I don't want to draw any moisture ,a dry cured ham will add to the flavour and still allow the the scallop to sear ,I have the up most care for cooking scallops ,I used to dive for them a few years a go a keep them in goody bags in the harbour till I wanted them or needed them ,fresh ,near translucent ,it's a ingredient I really need tip top condition ,

Those look absolutely delicious! I learned from watching cooking shows that you are supposed to cook your scallops for 30 seconds on each side in medium high heat and they will be perfectly cooked. I think your idea of baking them and wrapping them in bacon sounds even better. I still have not braved it and made scallops, but this recipe looks easy. I am going to try it.

Those look absolutely delicious! I learned from watching cooking shows that you are supposed to cook your scallops for 30 seconds on each side in medium high heat and they will be perfectly cooked. I think your idea of baking them and wrapping them in bacon sounds even better. I still have not braved it and made scallops, but this recipe looks easy. I am going to try it.

Thanks! Try it! It is so good!!
A very dear late friend of mine used to do them. But it took him many ties to get it right, until he was able to perfect it.
A few years ago when I did it for the very first time, I got it right on the very first try!! :wink:

Day-Day making a Sunday Dinner..jpg

My 11-year-old grand nephew caught on to this rather QUICK, and he LOVES it!!
I taught him how to do it, and now, HE does it himself!! When I'm visiting him & his family, I usually do the scallops & bacon. Now HE wants to take over!! Hah!!
He'll boot me out of the kitchen and say; "Uncle Shermie, I'M doing the scallops & bacon!" Once he gets the hang of something, he wants no interruptions from me!! Hah!! :wink::cook:

Last edited:
Everyone whom I've told about this, and they tried it, they want more & more!! Hah!! :wink:

I'd say a high heat rather than medium high. They need to be seared. Butter or a mix of butter and oil is best. They should be nut brown on each side. However, @Shermie's recipe sounds great (though if you want it even simpler, do as @Berties suggests and use a thin cured ham, then you don't need to cook bacon).

I'd say a high heat rather than medium high. They need to be seared. Butter or a mix of butter and oil is best. They should be nut brown on each side. However, @Shermie's recipe sounds great (though if you want it even simpler, do as @Berties suggests and use a thin cured ham, then you don't need to cook bacon).
High heat ,nonstick pan and clarified butter

To me, the bacon grease is good enough. it helps enfuse the bacon flavor all though the scallops. Shake the pan lightly to distribute the fat onto the scallops. :wink:
For me bacon fat does not hit a high temp to achieve a caramalization on the scallop
And so will Boil but every one to there own

If it did, it probably would smoke & possibly burn. Bacon burns very easy if it is cooked with the burner jacked up to the moon, and so with the fat that is rendered from it.
When doing bacon on top of the stove, I like to cook it low & slow - to keep it from cooking too fast & burning. :wink:

om goodness...these are so good. I have had them in the past and once you start eating them you just can't stop. Anything with bacon is so awesome! I have also done up bacon wrapped mussels and oysters. Both of them were amazing too.

Back
Top Bottom