Recipe Scallops

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
8:26 PM
Mod.Edit: The following few posts moved from another thread as they veered off topic. So this new thread is all about scallops!

Would it be the norm Stateside to cook scallops in this sort of dish?
An interesting point. IDK if there is a "norm" for cooking anything - either in the US or across the pond. Too many regional and personal differences. The joy of cooking - putting your own twist on any dish.

Left overs are always fun. Night before last I had boiled crawfish and G had boiled shrimp. He had a few shrimp left on his plate. Yesterday morning I added shrimp and a little Duxelle to his scrambled eggs. :hyper: WOW!

Last edited by a moderator:
:giggle:
Theis looks like a veritable feast! I was a bit surprised to see scallops in the mix. This isn't intended as a criticism, more curiosity - but I've only ever eaten or seen scallops served more or less 'free standing' - they have such a very delicate flavour that I would have thought they could get swamped in all the other strong flavours there.

Would it be the norm Stateside to cook scallops in this sort of dish? - Maybe I should start a scallops thread?

I've only seen dry packed sea scallops cooked as you describe. Coquille St Jacques was meant to make bay scallops rock!

dry packed sea scallops

I've never known of "dry packed sea scallops." I looked it up and was stunned to find that dry is how they might come, as fresh as they can get from the sea, and wet is after they are soaked in a bath of sodium tripolyphosphate. Ouch! I almost wish I didn't know that.

I've never known of "dry packed sea scallops." I looked it up and was stunned to find that dry is how they might come, as fresh as they can get from the sea, and wet is after they are soaked in a bath of sodium tripolyphosphate. Ouch! I almost wish I didn't know that.

I'm a total seafood snob. I'll walk away from wet packed scallops every time.

I don't think we get either sort here! There are frozen packs of scallops in the supermarket but the only time I tried them they tasted of very little.

I don't think we get either sort here! There are frozen packs of scallops in the supermarket but the only time I tried them they tasted of very little.

Dry doesn't really mean dry. It means they were frozen fresh off the boat. Wet means they were soaked in that nasty preservative stuff.

Dry doesn't really mean dry. It means they were frozen fresh off the boat. Wet means they were soaked in that nasty preservative stuff.
Oh - OK! I understand now. :shy: I must say that the ones we get frozen here are pretty tasteless. Its quite easy to get them fresh from the supermarket though - they nearly always have them on the fish counter (not pre-packed but in-store fishmonger).

The scallops that I cook:

http://www.thecrazykitchen.co.uk/2014/10/beer-battered-potato-scallops-minted.html

scallops s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom