School Lunches

In elementary school, I remember that both my brother and I used to bring a snack from home mid-morning (usually a focaccia or a pizza or a brioche) since lunch was in the school dining room, so we didn't need to bring lunch from home.
My mom had embroidered a little towel with our names on it, and she had embroidered a little flower next to mine and a little sailboat next to my brother's. So that could be my first lunchbox where to wrap around the snacks.
I still have it, by the way!

We used to put everything carefully in the school backpacks without having a real lunchbox, in those days it was not used yet.

In middle school I hardly ever brought a snack, at most it could be crackers or chocolate, but no more, and at lunchtime I would come home to eat. And no lunchboxes, even in that case we put everything in our school backpacks.

In high school instead I started to bring a lunchbox on which I had stuck the sticker of Nirvana, then Pearl Jam and slowly all the music scene of the 90s, usually there was a pizza or fruit and yogurt ... actually I would not really need a lunchbox even then, it was more like a kind of beauty-case or hiding place for cigarettes ...
Cafeteria? Choices? You guys had it easy. Lunch would start with an orderly queue outside the dining hall (we Brits practise queuing from an early age) regardless of the weather. When the doors opened we would file in and go to pre-arranged refectory tables that seated about 20 on hard benches. After standing for grace, we would be served our meal, from memory it always involved boiled potatoes, cabbage and carrots, along with some form of unidentifiable meat in gravy. If you cleared your plate you got pudding, usually something stodgy with custard. No choices, other than take it or leave it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5diMImYIIA

CD

Cafeteria? Choices? You guys had it easy. Lunch would start with an orderly queue outside the dining hall (we Brits practise queuing from an early age) regardless of the weather. When the doors opened we would file in and go to pre-arranged refectory tables that seated about 20 on hard benches. After standing for grace, we would be served our meal, from memory it always involved boiled potatoes, cabbage and carrots, along with some form of unidentifiable meat in gravy. If you cleared your plate you got pudding, usually something stodgy with custard. No choices, other than take it or leave it.

Sounds rather much like hospital food, which I loathe too. Which gives me an idea for a seperate thread :wink:

Back
Top Bottom