Recipe Scorfani In Guazzetto (Scorpion Fish with Tomato & Fennel)

Francesca

Local time
11:18 PM
AAFRANCESCASCORPIOFISHDELIGHTED20170124_131552_3.jpg

Photo Courtesy: Francesca Guillamet - Scorpion Fish from Marseille Purchased ..

The red scorpion fish or dragon fish, has a horrid reputation for its damage to the coral reefs, however, this amazingly incredibly fish, is a true Mediterranean delicacy beyond words. In Spanish we call it Cabracho. In Italiano it is called Scorafani .. In French, it is called Rascasse Rouge and in Portuguese Ranúnculo .. In Catalan, we call it, Cap Roig or Polla de Mar ..
The baking of the whole specimen is highly recommended .. or sauté-ing. This fish has been essential to The French Bouillabaisse and its Latin name is Scorpaenidae .. It is a gorgeous red hue and the fish is covered in " armour" and has an extremely large head ..
In Spain, we prepare a coarse Mousse from the flesh during the Xmas Holidays which we call Pastel de Cabracho. It is unforgettable ..

Here is a récipe which dates back to the year 2,000 from renowned T.V. Celebrity Chef Mario Batali in Manhattan ..

1 large red Scorpion Fish 800 kilos - 1.200 kilos ..
1 / 4 Cup Bio Italian Evoo
1 shallot
1 clove garlic ( if you add more garlic, it shall overwhelm the delicate sublime exquisiteness of this fish )
3 Tablesp. of minced fennel and fronds
2 tblsps of fresh spearmint or mint herb
1 / 2 tablesp of dry cayenne chili pepper crumbled ( called Guindillas in Spanish )
3 tablsps of minced fresh parsley
3 large red ripe tomatoes de-seeded and peeled or San Marzano if you prefer

How to´s:

1) In a 14 inch skillet, heat the Evoo over a low to médium flame and add the shallot, garlic, herbs, fennel & fronds and the chili pepper crumbled ..
2) Sauté until garlic lightly Golden and shallot until tender ..
3) Add the minced tomatoes ..
4) Add salt and freshly ground black pepper .. and sauté uncovered 15 minutes ..
5) Put the fish in a separate cooking vessel, or skillet and sauté in Evoo .. Place the Tomato Fennel sauce over the fish and continue cooking for approx 20 to 25 minutes ( do not over cook Scorpio fish or you shall have rubbery fish ) .. Just cook until the White flesh flakes ..
6) Sprinkle with parsely and herbs, and adjust the salt and pepper ..
7) Note: One can bake in earthenware with same ingredients as well if you prefer ..

Serve with a rocket and radicchio salad and Evoo & Modena Balsamic Vinaigrette .. and a lovely dry White Prosecco or Cava or Champagne ..

Just amazingly exquisite ..

Last edited:
@morning glory

There are uncountable ugly fish ! However, none taste like Scorpion .. It is a true jewel of a delicacy ..

If you ever see, Pastel de Cabracho on a Carte or at a Tapas Bar in London or Edimburgh, you would surely enjoy it .. It is a firm mousse terrine made from this Fish and combined with Brandy, home made Mayo, a combo of home made natural Worcestershire and shallot off top of head without digging out my mom´s récipe ..

Have a nice weekend ..

@Sandra

I prefer to bake mine in the oven actually ..

I also add a small amount of Italian dry white wine or Prosecco and prepare in an earthenware cazuela of 15 centi-metres circumference round ..

Thank you for visiting the post .. It is truly a gem of a recipe ..

Time to head off and get some rest ..

@Sandra

I prefer to bake mine in the oven actually ..

I also add a small amount of Italian dry white wine or Prosecco and prepare in an earthenware cazuela of 15 centi-metres circumference round ..

Thank you for visiting the post .. It is truly a gem of a recipe ..

Time to head off and get some rest ..
It is really a beautiful recipe. Thank you @Francesca for the further information. Have a good night

Some wild baby Scorpion ( Dragon Fish ) Fish Grilled with Italian Bio Evoo, fresh lemon, a sprinkle of sea salt and dill .. Just a quick lunch ..

AAFRANCESCABABYCABRACHO20180111_134108.jpg

Back
Top Bottom