Screen out the flies and mosquitoes

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
5:08 AM
The kitchen is the place where you process your food so sanitation and hygiene should be observed and exercised to the highest degree. Here, one such problem of small restaurants are the flies that roam the kitchen. That is why a screened door is important for kitchens so the flies, mosquitoes and other insects would not be able to enter.

Screen doors are definitely something all restaurants should have to prevent insects from entering the food preparation areas. Sometimes though it is hard to do because people come and go and the bugs get in anyway. At least a screen door would cost down on the amount of insects. We don't have that problem too much in my area because our summer is so short and most places have air conditioning in the kitchen and they are no doors in most kitchens. I can see where that would be a problem in warmer climates though.

In our work kitchen doors and windows are never left open and we have electro ultra violet fly catchers , you can have meah covers on he windows, and door chains which reduce fly entry

Its so wonderful to not have that problem! Here in Maidstone, Kent, UK (which is in the South East of England), it would be difficult to find a mosquito. The odd fly, maybe, But hardly any. It wouldn't occur to me to screen the door. I have just realised how lucky I am. Pity about the rain...

Pity about the rain...
ironically it was the rain that indirectly led to me getting carbon monoxide poisoning when we first moved into the place we are in almost 3 years ago.
Until then the summer had been really good and I had always had the window and door open when I was cooking. One September we were in the middle of a monsoon like episode of rain whilst I was cooking and I had to close both the window and the door which are at opposite ends of the kitchen to stop the rain coming in. What we didn't know was that cooker was faulty (the previous tenant never did any cooking apparently) and I ended up feeling very light headed and my asthma flared up which was really unusual and that was what got my attention. I started looking around for the CO detector and it wasn't going off but was flashing red. I remember thinking it was really odd, and picking it up off the top shelf and pulling it closer to me to look at, at which point the audible alarm went off. I didn't know at the time (having not read the instructions properly/remembered) that an CO detector has 3 levels for its alarm. Green is good. Flashing red, no audible alarm is high but only a warning not fatal but ventilation needed... Flashing Red and an audible alarm is at fatal levels of CO....

If you want some of out midge, please let me know. I can box them up and send them to you :giggle:

In our work kitchen doors and windows are never left open and we have electro ultra violet fly catchers , you can have meah covers on he windows, and door chains which reduce fly entry

Yes, same as here, those electro bug zappers are more common here than flyscreens! Thankfully I've never really seen bugs, flies or mosquitoes at any food places I've been to!

Sometimes it's the actual shop where it's impossible to keep the flies out because the customers are constantly coming and going. One coffee shop I love has a fly problem every summer but they can't do anything about it because the doors are always opening. It's not as but a deal with coffee though. I eventually decided to just let the fly have the foam in my mug because i was tired of shooing it away.

Its so wonderful to not have that problem! Here in Maidstone, Kent, UK (which is in the South East of England), it would be difficult to find a mosquito. The odd fly, maybe, But hardly any. It wouldn't occur to me to screen the door. I have just realised how lucky I am. Pity about the rain...
Most of the flies drown in the rain up here.

Sometimes it's the actual shop where it's impossible to keep the flies out because the customers are constantly coming and going. One coffee shop I love has a fly problem every summer but they can't do anything about it because the doors are always opening. It's not as but a deal with coffee though. I eventually decided to just let the fly have the foam in my mug because i was tired of shooing it away.
Keeping flies out of food handling areas is a ugly thing,so we have real trouble keeping them out of the bar and restaurant ,we try to keep the doors and windows closed as far as possible all bin areas kept clean and covered with regimental discipline ,we may get a plague a couple times a year but it's never been a massive problem

Most of the flies drown in the rain up here.
In your fortnight summer you get up north ,if I have to past Birmingham I apply avon skin so soft ,midges steer away from that,just a fact about the cream on topic...
:rain::sun:

Back
Top Bottom