Sea Stories

Went to Flamingo yesterday and caught 3 of these Snooklets. Underslot and out of season, all swam off healthy with my thanks for an entertaining morning. Nothing else was caught except catfish. Where are the reds and trout???

I had a Divemaster that was from Michigan. He was unfamiliar with our local saltwater fish. "While checking out local dive spots" (an excuse for us to spearfish) He saw his first snook. He didn't know they are a game fish and can't be taken by spear. Now these snook were huge and well outside the maximum size slot limit. Most were over 4'. They were stacked like cord wood under a ledge on a shallow reef (30' of water). He made a beeline for them with me yelling "Noooo" through the 2nd stage of my regulator and yanking on one of his fins. He got the message.

When we went dive spot hunting , we would load the tank racks (80) and be gone all day. Used to mickey off the drift fishing boat that docked next to us by the amount of fish we had when we docked!:roflmao: Also at that time, during season, the limit for spiny lobster was 24 per boat on the regulated species.

Green Suttles. Back in college, I went on a dive trip out of the St. Lucy inlet to a spot called "Peck's Lake". This is in the Atlantic Ocean and not really a lake. My dive buddy was Green Suttles from Alabama. At that time spiny lobster had to be caught by hand. Tail snares weren't even allowed. I'm not bragging, but I'm way above average when it comes to catching lobster by hand. The lobster in this area rival Tortuga lobster, averaging 5 lbs. Green was the bag man, with me catching and handing him the lobster to bag. What I didn't know was he kept letting a lobster escape from the bag every time he went to put one in! I didn't realize I was catching the same lobster again and again. I also didn't notice until we got back on the boat that the bag only had 4 lobster instead of the 12 I remembered catching. At the time there was no fishing license or lobster stamp required. From that point on, I let others carry the bag but I did the catching and bagging until Karen and I got together.

Green Suttles. Back in college, I went on a dive trip out of the St. Lucy inlet to a spot called "Peck's Lake". This is in the Atlantic Ocean and not really a lake. My dive buddy was Green Suttles from Alabama. At that time spiny lobster had to be caught by hand. Tail snares weren't even allowed. I'm not bragging, but I'm way above average when it comes to catching lobster by hand. The lobster in this area rival Tortuga lobster, averaging 5 lbs. Green was the bag man, with me catching and handing him the lobster to bag. What I didn't know was he kept letting a lobster escape from the bag every time he went to put one in! I didn't realize I was catching the same lobster again and again. I also didn't notice until we got back on the boat that the bag only had 4 lobster instead of the 12 I remembered catching. At the time there was no fishing license or lobster stamp required. From that point on, I let others carry the bag but I did the catching and bagging until Karen and I got together.
Another fun story! I fished Pecks lake for mackerel this year (February I think) good fishing up there.
Happy belated Birthday by the way!

Not an actual Sea Story, but a lesson in electric power when I worked in a shop that built, installed and serviced breathing air (diving) compressors. My boss at the time decided to show me how to to move an incoming 3 phase power conduit while it was live. The owner wanted to cut a hole in the wall to install doors which would allow the forklift to go into the alley there. My boss decides to rotate the conduit 180 degrees to move it out of the way so the door frame could be cut. The 3 phase service was 200 amps per leg. The boss cuts all the securing clamps and begins to rotate the conduit. At about 1/2 way around a small sun erupts at the base of the conduit. After my eyes could focus and see again, I notice my boss had been blown about 10 feet away and looks like Al Jolson in "black face". Most of the hair he had left is gone. He was so addicted to cigarettes that he had to light up before fire rescue got there. He spent a couple of weeks in the burn unit. I learned never to work on electrical power like that if it isn't turned off.

Back
Top Bottom