Sea Urchin

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:41 PM
Has anyone eaten sea urchin? Despite the fact it is found off the coast of Britain its impossible to buy. I once saw someone eating one in a restaurant in Whitstable but haven't seen it since. Its also (unlike most things) impossible find on-line. I'd just love to try it... I wondered if it was more common outside the UK.

I think my dad has had it, probably purchased in a Japanese market I'm guessing. It sounds like the kind of thing that would go with Japanese food, so that's where I would look if you have one around.

I think my dad has had it, probably purchased in a Japanese market I'm guessing. It sounds like the kind of thing that would go with Japanese food, so that's where I would look if you have one around.
Maybe. But there certainly aren't any Japanese markets or fishmongers in Maidstone! In fact, I don't know that there are any in the UK!

One summer we went to the place called Hundred Islands in the province of Pangasinan. There were many islands hence the name. In the shore, there were fishermen who were with a banca and a net. They left to fish and when they came back, they gave us some fish and some sea shell. It turned out to be sea urchin. They opened some for us and let us sample... salty and fishy in taste. But they say it is very nutritious... but not delicious.

One summer we went to the place called Hundred Islands in the province of Pangasinan. There were many islands hence the name. In the shore, there were fishermen who were with a banca and a net. They left to fish and when they came back, they gave us some fish and some sea shell. It turned out to be sea urchin. They opened some for us and let us sample... salty and fishy in taste. But they say it is very nutritious... but not delicious.

Oh, that's disappointing. I've been looking forward to my first taste of sea-urchin for ten years or more. :(

Back
Top Bottom