Recipe Seafood Chakchouka

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
4:36 AM
Seafood what? ??

SeafoodChakchouka00.png

I was waiting for a haircut I think, and I picked up this cooking magazine and while paging through came across this curious article about something called Shakshouka. It had tomatoes, onion, peppers, cumin and couple of eggs. Finding myself lamenting at the lack of meat in it, I thought about a combination of beef cubes and pork cubes. NO, that wasn't it. Seafood! Right then and there I began to invent an alternative. The article claimed Shakshouka was popular in the Med and that it had origins in North Africa, Tunisia. I imagined those origins where some ancestor of Carthage was faced with making a meal out of what they had available. The Tomatoes, Onions and Peppers with Spices was easy enough. But damn, what to do with those eggs?

My fondness for this recipe seemed to evolve and mutate ... evolving into something of which I had little control over. The ingredient list expanded and it was all I could do to reign in my culinary passion.

I winded up with 25 ingredients, given that I could not source Octopus. Damn! I would have loved to have Pulpo in this new creation. But alas, for now, it was not to be.

SeafoodChakchouka01.png

You might think you know where this is going, but be careful. I went crazy, mad and near insane concocting this beautiful symphony of flavors and textures.

Procedure:

1) Peal and then thin slice the garlic.

2) Dice up the Habanero Peppers and Ring Cut the Aneheims

PepperAnaheimCrossCutl.png

3) Slice up the mushrooms (I used Baby Bellas).

BabyBellaMushroomsSliced.png

4) Fry about 3 or 4 bacon strips in a 9 or 10 inch fry pan. When done, remove the strips and dry off on paper towels. Pour off most of the bacon grease, but leave a little to flavor what comes next.

5) Put the Garlic, Habaneros, Anaheims and Mushrooms in the pan and cook at 275 degrees F.

SeafoodChakchouka02.png

6) When the items in the pan show that they are beginning to soften, add in the Prawns, Scpallops, Chopped Clams, Crab Meat and Fish Chunks.

SeafoodChakchouka03.png

7) Continue cooking at 275F, but add a lid to ensue that the larger items get steam cooked.

SeafoodChakchouka04.png

8) When done, remove the contents of the fry pan to a Tupperware bowl and set aside.

SeafoodChakchouka05.png

9) First quarter longways the tomatoes and then cut the quarters in half. Put 'em in the pan.

RomaTomatoesCutUp.png

10) Slice up the scallions and put 'em in the pan.

OnionsScallionsSliced.png

11) Add the sliced Kalamata Olives and heat all at 275F

SeafoodChakchouka45.png

12) Cook till the tomatoes get soft.

SeafoodChakchouka46.png

13) Add in the Meats, Garlic and Peppers. Add in the spices. Cover with Oregano and then maybe 1./4 as much of the other spices. Add in the Tomato Puree, Olive Oil, Balsamic Vineger and Lemon Juice to suite. DON'T put that bacon in there yet! Stir it up as it heats and then cover ...

SeafoodChakchouka47.png

14) Stir occasionally and cook at 275F until you figure it is done.

SeafoodChakchouka48.png

15) Pour the contents of the pan into a pyrex pie dish and with a spoon arrange the seafood items so they are equally dispersed in the dish and not all in one place. Add shredded cheese on top. Tear up the bacon strips (DON'T cut and give them squared look). Add the Bacon pieces on top of the cheese.

SeafoodChakchouka49.png

16) Almost there! Crack and drop 2 to 4 eggs on top, yokes not broken.

SeafoodChakchouka50.png

Oops! I broke one.

17) Bake or microwave until the poached egg whites whiten and the yokes remain soft.

SeafoodChakchouka00.png

18) Remove, add the Cilantro sprigs and Serve. I've added a piece of Jalapeno Cheese Focaccia Bread. More available on the side. This makes about 4 to 6 servings depending on your results.

This is not like a Ciopinno, a Bouillabaisse or a Cuban Sope de Marisco. It's unique and a bit hot and spicey.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
There is a Spanish traditional classic called Flamenco Eggs which looks similar however, it does not have bacon or shellfish or fish in it .. Or the chili peppers from Mexico ..

Looks very nice .. Enjoy it ..

There is a Spanish traditional classic called Flamenco Eggs which looks similar however, it does not have bacon or shellfish or fish in it .. Or the chili peppers from Mexico ..

I wonder if all these variants can be traced back to those Berbers in North Africa?

Back
Top Bottom