Recipe Seafood Stock

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:22 PM
Seafood stock is a commonly used ingredient in various seafood dishes. It's always better to make your own whenever you can! But why is it that most recipes online for making one's own seafood stock have vegetables in them? I did a Google search and found recipes with onion, celery, carrot, etc. They should just call it "Seafood and Vegetable Stock" and be done with it. I chose to use lobster claw shells and shrimp shells for my stock, but whatever you have on hand will do. I would have used shrimp heads but my shrimp came without them, and the Langoustine lobster tails and the crab claw meat were already out of the shells and ready to use, so...

This is not an actual recipe entry, but I needed seafood stock for my Creamy Seafood Chowder with Roasted Garlic and Saffron recipe entry, w is what we had for dinner last night.

Makes approximately 1 quart of stock
Ingredients:
Approximately 1 pound of lobster shells, shrimp shellls, and/or whatever else you have on hand.
1.5 quarts of water
1 cup white wine

The lobster claws had some prickly spines and were a little tough on my hands but I got all that yummy lobster meat out of them just fine!

Roast the shells in the oven with a little olive oil at about 400F for 10-15 minutes. I had read that roasting the shells before boiling them greatly enhances the flavor.

Add the water and white wine, and boil at medium-high heat for about an hour.

After the contents cool, use a fine mesh strainer to pour the stock into a bowl or other container.

For a less cloudy stock (for my purposes I did not need a clear stock), the broth can be strained a second time through a coffee filter. After cooling, the stock can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days or used immediately, or put in containers to freeze for future use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom