How often do you eat scallops?

• Total voters

Cinnamonita

Local time
9:14 PM
Hello, hello! I'm a recent addition to this community, and I wanted to share a recipe I made for an elegant, healthy and fabulously tasty appetizer. It involves large succulent scallops, an aromatic pea purée, asparagus spears and baby potatoes.

Thumbnailscallop-600x336.jpg

Ingredients
  • 12 Large scallops
  • 12 Asparagus spears
  • 8 Baby potatoes
  • 500 grams Frozen Peas
  • 3 tbsp Butter
  • 75 mL Vegetable stock
  • Bunch Fresh Tarragon Pull the tender leaves off the stem for this recipe
  • Pinch Sugar
  • Edible flowers Garnish (optional)
  • Pea sprouts Garnish
  • Butter For searing scallops
Instructions
  1. Bring the vegetable stock and butter in a pot to a boil, then add the peas and bring it up to a boil again. Then strain the peas, carefully reserving the broth.
  2. Boil the baby potatoes in salted water for 5-8 minutes, and then drain them.
    scallopsedited1-600x473.jpg
  3. Purée the peas in the blender by adding small amounts of the buttery stock back in, as well as the sugar and tarragon, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour some stock in, blend, stir, repeat, until you have a silky, delicate puree. Note: You may not require all of the broth to make the purée.
    scallopsedited1-2-600x336.jpg
  4. Take the starchy ends off the asparagus by curving the stalk until it snaps near its base. Then take the greener side of the stalk and trim off the rough snapped end on an angle. From their, cut it again down the midline, and you’re set.
    scallopsedited1-3-600x335.jpg
  5. Place the asparagus in salted boiling water for just 2-4 minutes.
    scallopsedited1-4-600x337.jpg
  6. Slice each potato into three or four parallel slices. Once cut, spread them out in order to season them with salt and pepper.
    scallopsedited1-5-600x335.jpg
  7. Heat up a frying pan on high heat. Pat down the scallops with paper towel before seasoning them with salt and pepper on both sides. Melt a chunk of butter into the pan and press the scallops at even spacing throughout the pan with one of their disc-shaped sides down. Do not touch them for 4 minutes while they sear. If the scallops are smaller, cook them for a shorter period. Sear the other side of the scallops while maintaining the even spacing for another 4 minutes, then remove from the pan to cool.
    scallopsedited1-6-600x337.jpg
  8. Plate the elements by layering pea purée with baby potato discs. Nestle a few scallops near the centre, interspersed with criss-crossing asparagus spears. Pluck pea sprout tips and planting them in the pea purée. And for an extra dash of colour, add the edible flowers.
    scallopsedited1-7-600x362.jpg
  9. Enjoy!
    Screen-Shot-2019-06-12-at-5.14.53-PM-600x335.jpg
For a more detailed description, you can have a look at the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, hello! I'm a recent addition to this community, and I wanted to share a recipe I made for an elegant, healthy and fabulously tasty appetizer. It involves large succulent scallops, an aromatic pea purée, asparagus spears and baby potatoes.

View attachment 28695

Ingredients
  • 12 Large scallops
  • 12 Asparagus spears
  • 8 Baby potatoes
  • 500 grams Frozen Peas
  • 3 tbsp Butter
  • 75 mL Vegetable stock
  • Pinch Sugar
  • Pea sprouts Garnish
Instructions
  1. Bring the vegetable stock and butter in a pot to a boil, then add the peas and bring it up to a boil again. Then strain the peas, carefully reserving the broth.
    View attachment 28696
  3. Purée the peas in the blender by adding small amounts of the buttery stock back in, as well as the sugar and tarragon, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour some stock in, blend, stir, repeat, until you have a silky, delicate puree. Note: You may not require all of the broth to make the purée.
    View attachment 28697
  4. Take the starchy ends off the asparagus by curving the stalk until it snaps near its base. Then take the greener side of the stalk and trim off the rough snapped end on an angle. From their, cut it again down the midline, and you’re set.
    View attachment 28698
    View attachment 28699
  6. Slice each potato into three or four parallel slices. Once cut, spread them out in order to season them with salt and pepper.
    View attachment 28700
  7. Heat up a frying pan on high heat. Pat down the scallops with paper towel before seasoning them with salt and pepper on both sides. Melt a chunk of butter into the pan and press the scallops at even spacing throughout the pan with one of their disc-shaped sides down. Do not touch them for 4 minutes while they sear. If the scallops are smaller, cook them for a shorter period. Sear the other side of the scallops while maintaining the even spacing for another 4 minutes, then remove from the pan to cool.
    View attachment 28701
  8. Plate the elements by layering pea purée with baby potato discs. Nestle a few scallops near the centre, interspersed with criss-crossing asparagus spears. Pluck pea sprout tips and planting them in the pea purée. And for an extra dash of colour, add the edible flowers.
    View attachment 28702
  9. Enjoy!
    View attachment 28703

Nice vid and views.

Russ

:wink:

View attachment 28695

Ingredients
  • 12 Large scallops
  • 12 Asparagus spears
  • 8 Baby potatoes
  • 500 grams Frozen Peas
  • 3 tbsp Butter
  • 75 mL Vegetable stock
  • Pinch Sugar
  • Pea sprouts Garnish
Instructions
    View attachment 28696
    View attachment 28697
    View attachment 28698
    View attachment 28699
    View attachment 28700
    View attachment 28701
    View attachment 28702
  9. Enjoy!
    View attachment 28703

Amazing work of art!! Looks like you're a master chef!! I love scallops!!!

Our scallop beds in Nelson have been closed for a while due to over fishing, l love them but havnt seen Nelson scallops in a few years.

Russ

Very nice! And beautifully plated. Scallops work so well on purées - I'm never quite sure why they do but they are a classic combination.

I ticked 'once in a blue moon' in the poll because to be honest they are really not a personal favourite ingredient of mine. I find them rather sweet and cloying for my taste - but I do cook them for other people. The last time I cooked them was about 18 months ago paired with a Jerusalem artichoke velouté (which could have been a purée) and a coffee crumb.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/scallops-with-jerusalem-artichoke-veloutée-and-coffee-black-cardamom-and-walnut-crumb.11760/

fullsizeoutput_4a50.jpeg

Last edited:
I didn't watch this at first, but now I see where the potatoes are: they're under the puree!

The caramelized crust on the scallops is perfect. I haven't made scallops in a while, but these look so good that it inspired this thread: How do you USUALLY decide what to cook?

Last edited:
Our scallop beds in Nelson have been closed for a while due to over fishing, l love them but havnt seen Nelson scallops in a few years.

Russ
Aw that's too bad. Local scallops are so amazing. Hopefully, the closure will result in a flourishing number in the future, though!

Very nice! And beautifully plated. Scallops work so well on purées - I'm never quite sure why they do but they are a classic combination.

I ticked 'once in a blue moon' in the poll because to be honest they are really not a personal favourite ingredient of mine. I find them rather sweet and cloying for my taste - but I do cook them for other people. The last time I cooked them was about 18 months ago paired with a Jerusalem artichoke velouté (which could have been a purée) and a coffee crumb.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/scallops-with-jerusalem-artichoke-veloutée-and-coffee-black-cardamom-and-walnut-crumb.11760/

View attachment 28717
WOW! That looks glorious, and I love how you played with subtle flavours (black cardamom and walnut!) —Playing off that cloying sweetness, as you say, with the bitterness of coffee sounds wild.

Beautiful dish. Dry packed sea scallops are on sale this week.:whistling: So if the New York Mart doesn't have any geoduck....

Russ

A 10 year ban was put on Queen conch back in '77 and that became perminent in '85. California has placed a ban on taking abalone.

A 10 year ban was put on Queen conch back in '77 and that became perminent in '85. California has placed a ban on taking abalone.

My son knows a spot in kaikoura ( Kai=food, koura= crayfish) where he snorkels for abelone/ Paua in waist deep water. 5 per person limit and has to,be a certain size. I normally have a few in the freezer. I mince it up and make Paua fritters. It's very popular. I've always wanted to try the razor clams.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom