Season for Inexpensive Hors D'oeuvres?

tangela

Veteran
Local time
7:33 AM
I honestly love hors d'oeuvres and can eat them as a substitute for a main meal if I have to. I especially love the ones with cheese and smoked salmon, but naturally smoked salmon is SO expensive. Every single time I see it in stores it's way too expensive for my budget, which ultimately makes me sad and just a bit disappointed :(

Is there ever a "season" or a time when smoked salmon goes on sale? And if it does, do you buy in bulk and store some for later or do you only buy what you need?

have you ever thought about trying to preserve your own salmon ,
i do a quick ceviche of salmon basically finally diced raw salmon with squeezed lime juice,grated fresh ginger and chilli,with a little sea salt
or a gravalaxe of salmon ,cure the salmon side with dill brown sugar pink pepper corns and salt press for a week and thinly slice ,
or try doing a hot smoked salmon ,i cure the salmon for two days and smoke over apple wood trimming on a wire rack,

In our neck of the woods it's about $8 for a pack of it, though I don't recall how much it weighs - it's definitely much less than a pound. I want to say it's about three thin slices of it. However depending on how you use it, a little bit can go a long way. If I am making bagel sandwiches, there is only enough for about two sandwiches max. But if I am making smaller hors d'oeuvres, a little will go a long way. I cut each piece of salmon into quarter inch strips to put on each one, so a pack will get me close to 20 appetizer size bites.

I've tried making it at home, once, in the fridge, but was not pleased with the results at all. Part of the problem may have been that I used regular salmon from the pre-wrapped seafood section, instead of getting sushi grade salmon - which I don't even think any of our chain grocers even sell.

There is a recipe though that I came across recently which calls for a three minute cure, which sounded rather interesting:

I also think it would be easier to make your own smoke salmon than hunting around to find when it is on sale. It is kind of a delicacy, so it is probably going to be expensive all if the time. You could probably factor it in to your holiday cooking budget and just splurge on it once or twice a year.

have you ever thought about trying to preserve your own salmon ,
i do a quick ceviche of salmon basically finally diced raw salmon with squeezed lime juice,grated fresh ginger and chilli,with a little sea salt
or a gravalaxe of salmon ,cure the salmon side with dill brown sugar pink pepper corns and salt press for a week and thinly slice ,
or try doing a hot smoked salmon ,i cure the salmon for two days and smoke over apple wood trimming on a wire rack,
I have, actually. My fiancé really wants to get a smoker eventually when we have our own house (we're renting right now), but I may try what you just suggested because it sounds simply amazing!!

In our neck of the woods it's about $8 for a pack of it, though I don't recall how much it weighs - it's definitely much less than a pound. I want to say it's about three thin slices of it. However depending on how you use it, a little bit can go a long way. If I am making bagel sandwiches, there is only enough for about two sandwiches max. But if I am making smaller hors d'oeuvres, a little will go a long way. I cut each piece of salmon into quarter inch strips to put on each one, so a pack will get me close to 20 appetizer size bites.

I've tried making it at home, once, in the fridge, but was not pleased with the results at all. Part of the problem may have been that I used regular salmon from the pre-wrapped seafood section, instead of getting sushi grade salmon - which I don't even think any of our chain grocers even sell.

There is a recipe though that I came across recently which calls for a three minute cure, which sounded rather interesting:

That's true. My fiancé really likes it on his bagels (he loves lox and cream cheese) so when we do use it we go through it very quickly. We may end up doing some sort of appetizer to eat it at home or something as a special dinner at home by ourselves or something but we don't usually make appetizers at all.

And thank you for the video link, much appreciated!

Salmon spread is delicious on crackers and you can get away with purchasing a little less salmon. Mix it with cream cheese and chopped green onions and you will have a spread that will feed a lot of people and not have to spend a lot of money on it. I make this sometimes during the summer and there are never any leftovers when I serve it at a dinner party. Hope you enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom