Seasonal salads?

Sweetkymom

Veteran
Local time
10:31 AM
I don't think I've ever eaten a 'seasonal' salad but maybe I have and just don't know it? Exactly what is a seasonal salad? Do they only contain fruits and veggies that's in season at that time or is it something else? Any ideas on seasonal salads? Do you make seasonal salads?

I am not sure either. However, I am assuming, like you, that they only contain fruit and vegetables that are available seasonally. This will probably vary in different parts of the world. Perhaps winter salads may contain some warm food elements, such as rice, pasta or potatoes.

If you want to try it, then I believe there is a Christmas Salad recipe that calls for watermelon in it's ingredients. Come to think of it, it's the only recipe I know of that calls for both watermelon and cucumbers.

These days I think not many fruits and vegetables are that seasonal anymore since farmers can grow anything year round nowadays. If this is still the case in your area, though I'd recommend checking out Apple salads and even cucumber salads. I've also eaten some cucumber salads with some kani on top but that's more a kani salad than a cucumber salad to be honest.

We have very definitely seasonal salads in this household. Some salads are more substantial than others, like my homemade potato salad whereas one of my chickpea salads is much more of a summer only item. We also have the same with soups, some are just very definitely autumn soups and others are summer soups.

I would consider a "seasonal salad" to be something that utilizes the produce that is growing or being harvested at whatever point in the year it is. In the summer, that basically means most of your average garden salad stuff - good greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and all the good berries that are so plentiful in summer. In winter you might do more with apples and cabbage, or add some of those wonderful winter squashes to salads.

I take the word "seasonal" to mean "in season." I know in America we can get just about anything all year long, but when fruits and veggies are trucked in from thousands of miles away, they aren't so much in season, you know? And you can taste the difference.

While we're in the height of the winter months, my thoughts are straying ahead towards warmer days! The most delicious summer salad I've ever had was made of baby spinach leaves, diced watermelon, crumbled goat cheese, and a balsamic vinaigrette. Very easy, but oh so delicious!

I did a demo at Romsey show last year of winter/ autumn salads,a interesting salad can be a quick meal any time of the year to give some examples chorizo ,baby potato and red onion sautéed off and served on mixed leaves topped with a poached egg,fresh roasted Mediterranean vegetables topped with grilled goats cheese ,or left over roast pork with black pudding,the list is endless

Back
Top Bottom