Recipe Seasoned Bread Pudding

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
11:15 PM
This is a Yorkshire dish that my dear old mum (bless her) used to make when we had some old left over bread (which wasn't often). It's served as a starter (in lieu of Yorkshire puddings) with onion gravy and, like Yorkshire puddings, is intended to fill you up so that you eat less meat,

Ingredients
  • 1 loaf of bread (preferably past it's sell-by-date)
  • milk
  • suet, to the equivalent of 1/3 the quantity of the loaf
  • chopped onion, to the equivalent quantity of the loaf
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp sage
  • salt and pepper
seasoned pudding.jpg

Method

Break up the bread and soak in milk for 1 hour. Squeeze the bread with your hands or in a sieve to remove the majority of the milk. Discard the milk.

Add the remaining ingredients to the bread and mix well.

Place the mixture in a greased tin or oven-proof dish to a thickness of 30 to 35 mm. Bake in a preheated oven (200 degC) for around 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until the pudding is a brown colour.

Serve hot with lashings of onion gravy.

"Praise the Lord!"

I heard today that my cod and fillet steak supplier has obtained some packets of beef suet. I'm still trying to determine the brand but I've ordered one packet anyway (apparently they are in short supply).

This is a Yorkshire dish that my dear old mum (bless her) used to make when we had some old left over bread (which wasn't often). It's served as a starter (in lieu of Yorkshire puddings) with onion gravy and, like Yorkshire puddings, is intended to fill you up so that you eat less meat,

Ingredients
  • 1 loaf of bread (preferably past it's sell-by-date)
  • milk
  • suet, to the equivalent of 1/3 the quantity of the loaf
  • chopped onion, to the equivalent quantity of the loaf
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp sage
  • salt and pepper
Method

Break up the bread and soak in milk for 1 hour. Squeeze the bread with your hands or in a sieve to remove the majority of the milk. Discard the milk.

Add the remaining ingredients to the bread and mix well.

Place the mixture in a greased tin or oven-proof dish to a thickness of 30 to 35 mm. Bake in a preheated oven (200 degC) for around 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until the pudding is a brown colour.

Serve hot with lashings of onion gravy.
Those look so delicious. And easy to make. Copied. Thanks. I love Yorkshire Pudding. When I showed my son Pirate how to make it, he was surprised it was so easy.

Back
Top Bottom