Seasoning a bird?

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
10:33 AM
When you season a chicken or a turkey, are you supposed to put the spice on top of the skin or under the skin? I have heard of people doing it both ways. I think it would make more sense to put the seasonings under the skin so that you can remove the skin when the bird is done. I am not a professional cook so I would like to get some opinions on this one?

I put it under the skin and in the cavity. If you don't plan to stuff the bird, that is a good way to season the meat really thoroughly, and it won't affect the bake time because it is just a tiny, tiny bit in there.

I would not consider myself a professional cook either, but when I season a bird, if I am cooking it in the skin, I would usually put the seasoning on the outside of the skin, and then inside the cavity. However, if I am planning to remove the skin afterwards, I would put some of the seasoning outside the skin and most of it under the skin as well. Somehow I feel that the seasoning which is put on the outside of the skin will be absorbed into the chicken anyway when it is cooking.

Thanks for the tips. I really like the crunchy skin when the bird is fully cooked, but I know it is not good for me. I will usually take a small bite of the skin just as a treat and throw the rest of it away. I feel like a rebel when I have a small little bite.

I really like the crunchy skin when the bird is fully cooked, but I know it is not good for me. I will usually take a small bite of the skin just as a treat and throw the rest of it away. I feel like a rebel when I have a small little bite.

I am the same way. I know the skin is not good for me, but sometimes I would still cook the bird in the skin anyway, and when I am eating it, I would just eat a bit of the skin, but not much. I do not like the idea of throwing it away altogether. Furthermore, it has a nice crunchy taste as you said.

Back
Top Bottom