Semolina versus Farina

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:55 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
morning glory's post regarding the difference between Polenta and Grits (Grits v. Polenta) got me thinking about Farina and Semolina. Now Semolina has a bad rep in the UK from those awful attempts in school kitchens at the dish called semolina and if you've ever been subjected to it, you'll understand the reputation that comes with it.

But the dish semolina is also made from the product called semolina and when used correctly it is really very good. One of the places I have used it a lot is in bread making.

Farina
Farina is made from a hard wheat other than durum wheat. It is made from just the endosperm (inner part) so the bran and the most of the germ are not used resulting in a whiter flour. It is ground finely though not as finely as modern fIours. In Italy, It is illegal to substitute semolina flour with farina when making pasta. This doesn't apply to other countries apparently and the result is (apparently) a lower grade pasta when it is substituted. Farina is a cheaper flour btw.
Cream of wheat is similar to farina but ground more finely and has a couple of additional ingredients added, but if really needed, the two can be interchanged.
Farina can be made into a porridge or something resembling polenta depending on needs.

Semolina
Semolina is also made from a hard wheat but only from durum wheat. Again it is made from the endosperm of durum wheat. It is then milled and coarsely ground and sifted.The finer sifting becomes durum wheat flour and the coarser sifting becomes semolina which is used the world over in breadmaking, pasta and couscous.
It is possible in Europe (and Australia!) to get different millings of semolina for different uses, such as fine, medium or coarsely ground.
The sweet dessert called semolina is made from sweetened semolina flour boiled in milk (or water if it was at school!)

Farina is an American English term, I think. But there is also Farina made from potato starch - and some dictionary definitions state it can be made from any grain or nut.

In Italy there are various flours called 'Farina' which seem to be similar (same?) as bread & pasta flour sold in the UK. So I'm now officially confused... is it that 'farina' is the Italian word for flour?

The links (green) do give more information.

The Farina link is to anAmerican site so I believe its giving the American definition. I think that the word farina has different meanings in different countries and in the UK definition is not the same as the American.

Definition from my Chambers English dictionary:

Larousse doesn't list farina at all.

We've used semolina in bread and pasta, as well as to make Roman gnocchi, which requires you to make an enriched polenta like mixture, let it harden, then cut out rounds, shingle in a baking dish, drizzle with butter and grated parm, then bake.

I confess I've never used or had farina other than in infancy/early childhood when I was given the "cream of wheat" type cereal, which I quickly grew to detest.

We love Cream Of Wheat in our house, we eat it all the time, with the same additions as oatmeal - raisins, maple syrup, and brown sugar.

As with grits and oatmeal, the instant variety is crap. I always cook it in milk or half-and-half, to make it extra creamy.

Cream Of Wheat also makes a good substitute for breadcrumbs, and is a good thickener.

Back
Top Bottom