Recipe Serbian bean soup/brisque

djordjem87

Veteran
Local time
10:47 AM
So, it is not a regular soup. Although it is eaten with a spoon so in some ways it is a soup. I wrote /brisque because it is thicker and and not so clear as some soups tend to be.
For several years now i am a vegetarian but i am also a chef so i have to prepare meals with meat. I worked in several restaurants and even had my own small fast food restaurant.
This dish is one of the favourites when it comes to Serbian people. Here you will get the instructions for the one with meat or you just skip that part if you are like me.

Ingredients:
- some half kilo of beans (it really depends on how you like it, beans should be white, relatively small)
- onion
- garlic
- parsley
- ground red pepper
- smoked sausage, bacon and ribs (leave it out if you like)
- white flour

Method
- So, first you turn the stove and put a dip pot with water and beans. It would be nice if you let the beans sit in water the night before. After the water gets hot you slice the onions and garlic and add into the water. Either you put the meat now or you leave it out. If you use meat it is important you have really big pot or you'll have problems with overflow. I add half of the parsley now and half in the end. If you like you can add some celery root or anything you put in regular soup. Cooking is an experiment so feel free to do that. When the beans are cooked it is easy to see. They are soft and they change colour. Meanwhile do not forget to scoop up the white foam that will float in from the meat. When done, or almost done you will need a separate frying pan and heat. You put some sunflower oil in the pan and put the pan on medium high hat. When it is hot enough to fry you put two or three tablespoons of white flour and stir well until it starts to smell different but does not burn. In that you add a teaspoon or so of ground red pepper and again stir well. You put that in your boiling bean soup and with a big spoon just give it a few good spins. Now you can add the rest of the parsley and black ground pepper if you want. Let it boil for some 5 to 10 minutes and it is done.

Notes on this:
-Some people like to add whole fresh peppers while cooking and bay leaf for those additional 10 minutes in the end. Do not forget to take the bay leaves out in the end.

This soup sounds really good. Thanks for sharing. I like the different ingredients that are used to give it lots of flavour. I would like it with the meat. Do you add all three meats? It would be a great combination.

I need to try that recipe because it sounds really tasty. I love bean soup. Just as an aside I once had a borscht soup that was totally delicious. My mother in law had just been to Russia, and was anxious to try out her borscht making skills. I think it something everyone should try whether you like beets or not.

Back
Top Bottom