Recipe Serbian 'sukana pita' ( 'rolled pie')

djordjem87

Veteran
Local time
12:50 AM
So, the translation is a bit raw but it is a sort of a literal one. You expand the dough and the term in the original is archaism, an old word that has only that usage now.
http://cdn.coolinarika.net/image/f6...2ba67e95983745b816531bad0c75a_view_l.jpg?v=10

For this you will need a clean tablecloth or table cover whatever you like to call it. Flour, water, salt and oil for dough. And for the filling basically cheese and spinach or just cheese.
You need to kneed a dough by mixing some warm water with salt and a bit of oil and gradually add in a bowl of flour. The dough should be medium hard. never too hard or to soft. You make three balls from it and leave them to rest for 30 minute or so. While they are resting you will prepare the filling. Some cottage cheese with a bit of oil and sliced spinach if you like. On the big table you will put the tablecloth and roll the first ball of dough. There is a certain technique after the basic one with rolling pin. With your fingers you should go around the dough and pinch it so it is being rolled gradually and even. It should be paper thin. after you finish, put the filling all over and just lift the tablecloth up slowly. this will roll the dough. then you need to make a 'snail' shape of the roll you made.In order to get the pie from the picture the first ball you made into a snail you should put in the middle of baking pan and the two other balls ( rolled like the first) you just put around the snail you had put in the middle. A video will clear everything up.
If you have something similar in your countries please share.
So here in tthe video she is making smaller snail shaped pies but i wanted you to see the trick with a table cloth.

Just mind the technique and nothing else here.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdF-6zRfCpk

Wow that is really different. I never seen anything quite that that before. Thanks for sharing it was very interesting to watch.
She made it look so easy but I am sure things wouldn't go as smoothly as that on your first attempt.

Wow that is really different. I never seen anything quite that that before. Thanks for sharing it was very interesting to watch.
She made it look so easy but I am sure things wouldn't go as smoothly as that on your first attempt.
That is correct :). My first time was so so disaster. it was good but i had forgotten to do one very important thing and again even in this recipe i forgot to stress it.
When you pinch the dough so you can spread it you need to take off the rim in the end because it is five time thicker than the dough and when you leave it just becomes hard inside the pie. So if you are trying to make it , go slow, no yeast to worry about and remove the rim. When you finish layering you should just spread some oil on top of the pie before it goes to oven.

Back
Top Bottom