Recipe Sesame Brioche bread/buns

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:26 AM
This is from "The Burger Meisters" cookbook, which is a compilation of recipes from various chefs by Chef Marcel Desaulniers, the "Death by Chocolate" author. This particular recipe is from Chef John Doherty of the Waldorf Astoria at the time. It was used for a tuna burger with a sesame ginger dressing.

Makes 1 loaf, 8x5. I'm sure you could also make buns with this. You could also omit the sesame seeds if desired.

2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
4 cups AP flour
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds, cooled
4 large eggs, room temperature
12 Tbsp plus 1 tsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 Tbsp cold water

In a bowl of a stand mixer, place the sugar, yeast and warm water. Mix to combine and allow to stand for 4-5 minutes until foamy. If it doesn't foam, your yeast is bad and you need to replace.

Meanwhile, sift the flour and remove 4 cups (there will be more, reserve remainder. Mix the 4 cups sifted flour with the salt and 2 Tbsp of the sesame seeds together. Add the sifted flour/salt/sesame seed mixture to the yeast mixture plus 3 eggs. Mix on low speed with the dough hook for 1 minute, scrape bowl down, and continue to mix on low speed for about 2 minutes until dough forms a ball. Adjust the mixer speed to medium and start adding the butter, 1 Tbsp at a time, until the 12 Tbsp has been added, about 12-14 minutes. Make sure each Tbsp of butter is thoroughly incorporated before adding more. You may have to stop the mixer and scrape the dough off the dough hook periodically to ensure thorough mixing. Remove the dough, along with the dough hook to a lightly floured board (using some of the reserved flour) and cover with the bowl. Allow the dough to rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down to its original size, transfer to a pie pan or shallow bowl lined with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 15 minutes.

Lightly flour (using some of the reserved flour) a board and place the dough on it. Divide into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a log about 14-15 inches long and 1-1/2 inches thick. Braid the 3 pieces together.

Coat an 8 inch loaf pan with the remaining teaspoon of butter, place the dough into the loaf pan, then place into a warm location and allow to rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat oven to 325 degrees F.

Whisk the remaining egg with 1 Tbsp cold water and gently brush the top of the loaf. Sprinkle the remaining sesame seeds over the top of the loaf. Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then remove and allow to cool to room temperature before slicing.

TIPS: To test the loaf for doneness, lightly tap the bottom of the loaf. You should hear a hollow sound.

An electric mixer will make it much easier to mix in the butter and eggs.

It doesn't look too difficult, but since when I bake it usually comes in box (if cake) or frozen (if dough), I never bought a stand mixer. I might have to just try the regular old hand mixer, eh? Thank you for posting this.

It doesn't look too difficult, but since when I bake it usually comes in box (if cake) or frozen (if dough), I never bought a stand mixer. I might have to just try the regular old hand mixer, eh? Thank you for posting this.
You mean like an electric hand mixer? You'll likely choke the mixer, strip the little gear, or burn it out trying to mix bread dough with it.

A better option would be to just mix it by hand with a wooden spoon, then do the kneading by hand, the 12-14 minute part.

Being completely serious...when I've had a particularly bad day mentally, and it's also a day I'm making bread, I'll purposely skip the stand mixer and do it all by hand, because it's kind of relaxing to me. Some people see "knead by hand for 10 minutes" or whatever and kind of freak out, but it's really relaxing. Nothing else matters during those 10 minutes. :)

You mean like an electric hand mixer? You'll likely choke the mixer, strip the little gear, or burn it out trying to mix bread dough with it.

A better option would be to just mix it by hand with a wooden spoon, then do the kneading by hand, the 12-14 minute part.

Being completely serious...when I've had a particularly bad day mentally, and it's also a day I'm making bread, I'll purposely skip the stand mixer and do it all by hand, because it's kind of relaxing to me. Some people see "knead by hand for 10 minutes" or whatever and kind of freak out, but it's really relaxing. Nothing else matters during those 10 minutes. :)
Yeah...no. I don't think I will be kneading dough for 10 minutes. Or even 5. What part of "lazy baker" did you not get? :laugh:

I'll purposely skip the stand mixer and do it all by hand, because it's kind of relaxing to me.

I also don't have a stand mixer. I love to knead by hand so I can feel the dough changing. Its a lovely tactile feeling and not difficult to do or even strenuous. Very relaxing and rewarding.

Today was an incredibly stressful day. I made bread by hand and pizza dough by hand. All that kneading helped. :)

Back
Top Bottom