10:55 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
DSC_3117.JPG

Ingredients
50g white sesame seeds
25g black sesame seeds
50g chopped nuts of your choice
25g dried red fruit (your choice but it must be dried)

75g brown rice syrup
45g water (aka 3tbsp!)
pinch of salt

Method
  1. First of all prepare your area with some greaseproof/non-stick paper, a rolling pin and a palate knife.
  2. Next, roast your sesame seeds and your chosen nuts. I only had brazil and almonds available, so that is what I used.
  3. Add your dried red berries/fruit to the roasted nuts (keep them warm). Again I only had some homemade dried sour cherries available, so that is what I added.
  4. In a saucepan, heat the water, rice syrup and salt, stirring until it is dissolved. Bring to a rolling simmer, do not stir other than by tilting the pan from side to side and allow it to bubble away until it sets into a drop/streamer from a wooden spoon dipped into the sauce. How long you simmer the syrup for depends on how brittle or chewy you want your sesame seed snaps to be. Boil it for longer if you want them more brittle.
  5. Add roughly 3/4s of the rice syrup mixture to the sesame seed mixture and mix well and quickly. You want all of the seeds and fruit coated. I ended up using all of the rice syrup mixture.
  6. Now quickly pour everything out onto that greaseproof paper, and shape and flatten into a rectangle. Use the rolling pin to level everything off once you have pressed it into shape. Work quickly and use your greaseproof paper to help with the two long edges of the rectangle. Use your hands or the palate knife to create the straight shorter ends of the rectangle.
  7. Before it has cooled completely, but once it has cooled enough, peel off the greaseproof paper and cut into shape. I made 10 snaps from this mixture.
  8. Now allow to cool completely before removing from the greaseproof paper.
DSC_3102.jpg DSC_3106.jpg DSC_3108.jpg DSC_3110.jpg DSC_3103.jpg DSC_3107.jpg DSC_3111.jpg

Last edited:
These look really good!

Now what can I sub for brown rice syrup - I'd never even heard of that before.
I agree...they look amazing, and I really like the use of white and black seeds on the exterior. To answer your question, here's what a substitution guide said:

For each part Brown Rice Syrup called for, substitute 1/2 part molasses or 3/4 part Barley Malt Syrup or 3/4 part honey or 3/4 part maple syrup.

This makes things even more tricky... what do I sub for Barley Malt Syrup? :laugh:

Maybe I will just use golden treacle - what do you think @SatNavSaysStraightOn?
It would depend on who they were for.
Honey and sugar is another substitute. 3tbsp honey, 3tbsp sugar and 3tbsp water iirc. If have to look it up, but that needs to wait until later. I'm running late and need to go out.

Back
Top Bottom