Shallots

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
3:36 AM
[Mod.Edit: this post copied over from another thread to start a new topic (MG)]

Ordered these 'Banana Shallots' that I've never seen on sale here before. I did not think they would be this big. Usually the 'shallots' we get just look like baby red onions (I'm convinced that's what they are :) ) and i've seen pictures of what a shallot looks like say in France (more like the shape and colour of these below, if not the size). They smell different - more like a cross between a sharp onion and a leek.

IMG_7084.JPG

IMG_7085.JPG

IMG_7086.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered these 'Banana Shallots' that I've never seen on sale here before. I did not think they would be this big. Usually the 'shallots' we get just look like baby red onions (I'm convinced that's what they are :) ) and i've seen pictures of what a shallot looks like say in France (more like the shape and colour of these below, if not the size). They smell different - more like a cross between a sharp onion and a leek.

View attachment 61080

View attachment 61081

View attachment 61082

Those are shallots. Shallots are not baby onions.

View attachment 61080

View attachment 61081

View attachment 61082

I get them here easily and use them quite a lot. They are good cooked whole or sliced lengthways and braised. Here's a couple of recipes I made with them:

Recipe - Miso Braised Banana Shallots, Pac Choi & Ginger
Recipe - Braised Shallots in Marmite

View attachment 61080

View attachment 61081

View attachment 61082
That's exactly what the shallots I get look like. Long and slender. They're just marked "Shallots" at the grocery store, sold in bulk, not bagged.

Are those the typical shallots you get? If you go into Sainsburys or Tesco and just say 'shallots' would you be pointed to these, or are these considered different/special?

Well I don't know really. Both types are easily available. I do all my shopping on line and mainly use Morrisons. I just tested and tgis is what came up when I put shallots in Morrisons' search engine. These are the only shallots they have:

I'll try Ocado... hmmm.... Banana shallots seem to be taking over! This is what I get when I put shallots in Ocado's search engine:

Tesco (50/50)

Sainsburys (50/50)

No, not at all. You seem to grow lots of things. Are they easy to grow?

Yes anyone can grow shallots, stick them in the ground so that you can still see the tops, check daily as birds will pull them up, I think the birds think they are worms. wait a few months and you should get 6 for every one you put in.

in this area, the little ones were "called" French shallots.
then the famous "they" decided the bigger ones are easier prep, and that's about all the local supermarkets stock anymore.

could be true, but the little ones have the best flavor, imho.

in this area, the little ones were "called" French shallots.
then the famous "they" decided the bigger ones are easier prep, and that's about all the local supermarkets stock anymore.

could be true, but the little ones have the best flavor, imho.

There is an easy way to peel shallots (any shape) - place in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 10 minutes. They then peel easily, in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom