Shark

Enimrac

Veteran
Local time
4:35 PM
Has anyone here ever tried Shark? I am a big seafood fan, and have tried all different sorts of seafood including things like squid and octopus, but I have never had shark. I keep hearing about it from friends who have tried it, and say it tastes awesome. Anyway, was wondering what you guys have to say about it, and where could you get it?:D

I'm wary about getting the real thing, because I've heard so much about the cruel harvesting practices and the impact on biodiversity.

If I could be reassured somehow that it wasn't an endangered species of shark or that it was slaughtered painlessly (as possible), I'd love to satisfy a similar curiosity.

I keep running across little dumpling stalls that offer shark's fin dumplings that frankly taste the same as the next steamed meat dumpling to me, so I'm certain that's just artificial flavoring, or it has so much filler in the dough that they all just taste like filler and soy sauce (when I add soy sauce.)

As far as I know, it's a specialty of Chinese cuisine, but if there are other regional styles of preparing this meat then I'd be curious about that too.

Hi. I have tried shark a few times, mainly when I was abroad. It is kind of a meaty fish (if that makes sense) with a similar texture to tuna and swordfish. I thought it tasted quite similar to swordfish too. It is not a fish that is readily available in the UK though, so I think I have probably only eaten it about three times.

I have never tasted shark and I do not think that I want to. I do not eating animals or fish that I am scared of. I barely can eat food that I have seen killed. So, eating shark meat is out of the question for me.

I've tried sharks fin soup in Chinese restaurants and I honestly don't get what the fuss is all about. It's bland and boring and I'm guessing the prestige is much more important than the flavor in this case.

I don't think I've tried any shark related recipes as of yet, and am very careful about making sure my seafood is sanitized and prepared properly before I consider eating it; I'm rather paranoid about it. However, if I did manage to try shark, I don't expect it would taste much different than any other meatier fish out there. To be honest, I'm kind of expecting a bit of a clam-like texture with a fish-like taste if I ever want to try or get the chance to eat anything shark related. On the other hand, I love sharks as a creature so much that I'm not sure I could go through with eating one if the chance was in fact presents itself.

I have tried shark fin soup in a Chinese Resto before. It is quite delicious. I dont know but something in the meat gives it some distinctive taste. However due to some environmental concerns, I promise not to eat shark anymore.

Have cooked shark steaks on a char grill ,not so much in fashion in the uk now,
Nice with stir fried leaves like pac choi in sesame oil and a fresh salsa like tomato and corriander,
A shark called a porbeagle is caught off the Devon Coast in the uk and I cooked a whole one once and what we call dressed it for a buffet

I've tried the infamous fermented shark in Iceland while I was there on holiday. Anthony Bourdain actually had to spit it out on his show. It is pretty bad...I wouldn't recommend it, even if it's just a "once in a lifetime" thing

I had shark when I was about sixteen & it seems like the idea of the dish clouded the taste. When someone says I should imagine the taste of a strawberry I & everyone else knows that taste. It's tough for me to picture the taste of shark since that time.

I had shark when I was about sixteen & it seems like the idea of the dish clouded the taste. When someone says I should imagine the taste of a strawberry I & everyone else knows that taste. It's tough for me to picture the taste of shark since that time.

haha, obviously it would, since I'm assuming you had a mega expensive shark dish? I remember when I first had lobster last year, and the place prepared it SO BADLY, it tasted like rubber. God, it still pisses me off to this day how they can treat something to expensive so carelessly

I can only agree. It seems like the fact that they have something of worth is ignored because they know the value of it without alteration. It's always the opposite when you go to a nice restaurant that treats the worst thing with the most respect. You're willing to spend more that way than you would with a cut at that value.

Once we took a vacation in a coastline town. One of the delicacy we had sampled was the raw sea urchin. On the next day, a fisherman caught a small shark that was sliced for giveaways to neighbors. The shark meat was grilled on open fire and showered with lemon juice and salt. That's the way to eat shark meat, said the fisherman, that is to neutralized the fishy taste.

Once we took a vacation in a coastline town. One of the delicacy we had sampled was the raw sea urchin. On the next day, a fisherman caught a small shark that was sliced for giveaways to neighbors. The shark meat was grilled on open fire and showered with lemon juice and salt. That's the way to eat shark meat, said the fisherman, that is to neutralized the fishy taste.
Sea-urchin! I've always wanted to taste that. Its quite difficult to get here, even though they grow around our coast. I haven't yet found a fishmonger who stocks them and I've only once seen them on a restaurant menu. How did it taste?

I actually recently picked up some shark meat at the local market. I seen it there and wanted to give it a try. I just fried it up. I found it hard a very sharp fishy taste. Perhaps there were better ways to cook it. I would buy it again if I seen it and maybe search on line to find better ways to cook it. It wasn't bad though. It definitely has a different taste from any other fish I have eaten.

Back
Top Bottom