Shelf Life of Spice?

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
4:27 PM
Before I really got into cooking, I kept reading and hearing about how spices would be used in medieval Europe to mask the taste of rotting food or even to preserve food for longer. So, I got the impression that spices just simple... last, and last.

Then I started hearing that spices aren't at their best after three months. That's awfully quick!

Last Christmas, my aunt needed some cloves for the ham and I had a container of cloves that were more than two years old (although stored in a tin and kept in a dark place that isn't much warmer than room temperature.) She used them, and could taste them, and said that they worked just the way that cloves should, but that by such an age the worst that can happen to cloves is usually that they lose their flavor. When I thought about it, I wondered why the oils hadn't gone rancid.

Does it depend on the spice? Obviously if it's growing something or has insects in it, I'll throw it away--but how long do they last on their own, if stored properly?

It definitely depends on the spice but I think in general, most spices are good for at least a year. I could be wrong but I recently cleaned out my cupboard and spices I had bought three years ago were just expiring now and some still have a few months (according to the expiration dates printed on the label).

Proper storage is the key to extending the life of herbs and spices. Most will just lose their potency over time and not be dangerous to eat. I find that leaf type herbs like oregano and dill tend to lose their flavour more rapidly than ground spices like cinnamon or nutmeg. I have a few spices that I have kept for too long but I rarely use them and they still have flavour and aroma. It is unfortunate that one has to buy such large quantities of herbs and spices we rarely use.

With proper storage (especially keeping out humidity) I think they will last for ages. While they might lose a bit of their flavour, I've still succesfully used spices that have been bough years ago.

When they were used to preserve food and mask rotten food, that was in the days when there was no alternative. Spices allowed food to be kept for a few more days or weeks after it would normally go off. It does not mean that spiced food would have lasted for more than a few months.

Spices are natural food products. Drying and grinding allows spices to last longer. They do not go off and are still safe to use, but the taste, smell and power of any spice will deteriorate the longer it is kept.

It is unfortunate that one has to buy such large quantities of herbs and spices we rarely use.

True, that is annoying. This business partnership in Baltimore started this thing where people can buy spices in individual packets about the volume of a teaspoon, and I hope it's a trend that spreads and that other companies pick up on.

Last edited:
I agree that keeping spices and herbs fresh is all about how you store them and keeping them out of the humidity. I try and be really careful about it so I don't have to replace them.

I keep my spices for a pretty long time and don't really know the shelf life of the different spices I have. I do use them on an almost daily basis but the containers are so big it's hard to use them up quickly. I guess I just use my judgement when cooking with them, I look for any difference in appearance or smell and if that happens I will usually toss it because spices are relatively inexpensive and I would rather not risk it.

Back
Top Bottom