Shepherds pie for dinner

So we had roast lamb last night, I had a sammy earlier and making a pie for later, pics to follow.
Lamb,onions,carrots, parsnip tomato sauce and Worcester sauce. Topped with creamy cheesy mash spud.
I grew up with this food, I still remember turning the steel grinder.

Russ

The best ever Shepherds Pie is made from left over roast lamb. Lots of people make it from raw minced lamb - to me that lacks flavour and body.

The best ever Shepherds Pie is made from left over roast lamb. Lots of people make it from raw minced lamb - to me that lacks flavour and body.
Americans notoriously don't eat much lamb at all, so here, shepherds pie is made with ground beef (cottage pie).

The last time I made it, I used locally-raised ground lamb (it was given to me free because, well, see my first sentence about Americans and lamb). I made shepherds pie with it and invited the gifters over, and you would have thought I was serving braised skunk rectums in snot sauce.

Once they got drunk enough, they did try it, came back for seconds, then thirds, but to this day, if you mention lamb, they'll say, "Yeah, that shepherds pie was all right, but overall, lamb is disgusting!" - and that's the only time they've had it! :laugh:

Americans notoriously don't eat much lamb at all, so here, shepherds pie is made with ground beef (cottage pie).

The last time I made it, I used locally-raised ground lamb (it was given to me free because, well, see my first sentence about Americans and lamb). I made shepherds pie with it and invited the gifters over, and you would have thought I was serving braised skunk rectums in snot sauce.

Once they got drunk enough, they did try it, came back for seconds, then thirds, but to this day, if you mention lamb, they'll say, "Yeah, that shepherds pie was all right, but overall, lamb is disgusting!" - and that's the only time they've had it! :laugh:

Speak for yourself!:hyper: We eat lamb quite often. Yes, American raised lamb isn't my choice. I look for New Zealand or Aussie raised lamb.

Speak for yourself!:hyper: We eat lamb quite often. Yes, American raised lamb isn't my choice. I look for New Zealand or Aussie raised lamb.
I like lamb fine - ate it a lot in the UK. But Americans as a whole aren't that enamored of it:

"Bloomberg News recently reported that Americans consumed less than 1 pound of lamb meat per person last year. Only half of the U.S. population has tried eating lamb."

Part of a larger article on why we don't eat lamb.

Again, that depends on where you are located. Whenever the local butcher place would put lamb on sale, you had to get there fast, otherwise it was either totally picked through or gone, especially when it was rack of lamb or lamb chops, heck even leg of lamb.

America is too big to make sweeping generalizations, even without all the different immigrant cultures and blending of those cultures.

Hi all

From recollection the original recipe used chopped or cubed lamb, but here is a picture from my 1915 Mrs Beeton's cookbook which reminds me more of lasagna or moussaka:

here is a picture from my 1915 Mrs Beeton's cookbook which reminds me more of lasagna or moussaka:

It is a curious method - the mashed potato is fried up and used to line the bottom of the dish and the top, with the sliced meat in between. I'll have to look at some of my vintage books to compare.

My Mother used to make a lamb dish with sliced potato's & lamb which was baked so the top potato's were part caramalised and absorbing the lovely broth from the lamb. Just cant recall the name of it...

Back
Top Bottom