Shepherds pie old fashioned

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:03 PM
My earliest memory of helping mum in the kitchen was grinding in a bench mounted grinder, winding the wringer and watching food come out.i was prolly under 10 and I helped regularly. Lamb was cheap back then, and my grandparents often supplied the meat and mum would cook us all a roast. Then next day we would make the meal
Ground cold lamb, also grind carrots,onions and any other root vegetable. I will,use sweet tatter as well. Mix with Worcester sauce and tomato,ketchup. S and p. Then put into a casserole dish.,then boil potatoes and mash. Top the meat and bake at 160c for 40 mins. My mash has cheese in it as well. It's only 10am here so I will post pics later as I make.

Russ

My earliest memory of helping mum in the kitchen was grinding in a bench mounted grinder, winding the wringer and watching food come out.i was prolly under 10 and I helped regularly. Lamb was cheap back then, and my grandparents often supplied the meat and mum would cook us all a roast. Then next day we would make the meal
Ground cold lamb, also grind carrots,onions and any other root vegetable. I will,use sweet tatter as well. Mix with Worcester sauce and tomato,ketchup. S and p. Then put into a casserole dish.,then boil potatoes and mash. Top the meat and bake at 160c for 40 mins. My mash has cheese in it as well. It's only 10am here so I will post pics later as I make.

Russ
I remember the bench mounted grinders - parents had one. Used it for ground bologna or ham sandwiches and also to make hash with left over beef roast, onions and potatoes.Good memories!

Bravo, brothers by a different mother. In the late 50s your memories are the same as mine. I remember when Welsh butchers would give you the shanks for the dog.

Bravo, brothers by a different mother. In the late 50s your memories are the same as mine. I remember when Welsh butchers would give you the shanks for the dog.

We got treats too from our butcher, our next door neighbour.
Here's the final about to plate, txt daughter and she's picking some up tomorrow. This will feed 5.

When I saw the title of the thread, for a moment I thought, a lamb cocktail? (old fashioned joke)

We had a hand crank meat grinder when I was a kid. It clamped to a table. It worked great, and was not hard to use. Now, I have an attachment for my KitchenAid mixer.

I love shepherds pie. I need to try this. I've made cottage pie, with beef, so this should be easy. Just a different meat.

CD

When I saw the title of the thread, for a moment I thought, a lamb cocktail? (old fashioned joke)

We had a hand crank meat grinder when I was a kid. It clamped to a table. It worked great, and was not hard to use. Now, I have an attachment for my KitchenAid mixer.

I love shepherds pie. I need to try this. I've made cottage pie, with beef, so this should be easy. Just a different meat.

CD

I have cold beef in the fridge, but I love it with lamb, the same as 55? Years ago. Daughters coming now to take the rest.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom