Shopping - one swoop or more frequently?

mjd

Veteran
Local time
10:09 AM
I was reading some posts in the What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? and I wondered how many of us shop for groceries all at one time or go every day or several times a week.

Personally, I do not like shopping so I tend to get groceries once a week unless I forgot something. It is even more annoying now because of COVID. Our stores have to limit the number of people inside and there are arrows on the floor but people are constantly going the wrong way. It's cumbersome.

My ex used to shop every day before we got together. I was in school full-time, working full-time and caring for my dying grandmother when he and I met. Grocery shopped had to be a planned event because I had so little time and even less energy. He didn't mind going to the store every single day after work.

I am also an impulse shopper. I will buy things not on my list if they are a good price or I know I'm running low on something.

So, how about it! Do you shop in one fell swoop or go on the hunt more frequently?

Last edited:
My preference is to go every other day, mainly for fruit & veg, and a big shopping trip once a week, where I stop by a variety of stores.

Since COVID, though, I go once a week for a big shop, and maybe one other time in-between, because even with a list, my memory is crap, and I'll forget to add things to my list.

About the only thing I buy on-the-spot is meat. Kroger will frequently run 2-4-1 meat specials, so I'll do that to stock up. I prefer to buy my meat elsewhere, but for the time-being, I'm limiting my stops, so Kroger it (usually) is.

Now that I am rural and the nearest real supermarket is 35 minutes away, I try to do everything in one swell foop. I supplement (when the season permits ) by using my garden veggies, and now that winter is coming, by ordering other veggies/fruits through Misfits Market (but they don't always have what I want). I also try to hit the Farmer's Market in season every Saturday if I am available. (They are closed now until June.)

At any rate -- I try to go once a week. I just came back from there. If I missed one item and I can go grab it at the Mom and Pop or the Pop and Pop (20 minutes or 15 minutes away, respectively - the former has a bigger selection of foods) I'll do that. Sometimes. If I've missed something neither of those would carry I do without and substitute.

In my working days, I usually shopped at Stew Leonard's or ShopRite on my way home from work. Occasionally Saturday mornings if the work day was too aggravating to shop after. The thing was, there were FIVE regular supermarkets I could choose from on my way home from work, so I could pick any one of them. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's were too close to work, so unless I was super hungry and wanted a lettuce-wrapped burger (from Whole Foods) on the way home, I just got on the highway and went home (or to the two closer to home shops). If I had to go to work on the weekends for an hour or three, I would shop at Trader Joes. (The reason for my avoidance of the two stores near work on weekdays was that the highway would back up more and more and more if I dwadled at any shopping prior to the highway.., unless it was so late it was already after six pm, at which point I might as well wait for the traffic to die down while eating aforementioned burger...)

So.. I was stopping for groceries 3 and sometimes 4 days a week, and sometimes Saturday or Sunday mornings around 8 or 9 am before other folk woke up. (This also included Saturday morning Costco visits - hey, a SIXTH close place!, which happened every other month as I'm only one person - but sometimes I was in the mood for the freebie samples or the seafood specialty counter which at my Costco was only open on Saturday mornings.)

There was also a small Indian market and a small overcrowded Asian market - if I was running late at work on Fridays, I'd sometimes drop in their for their Friday afternoon run of fresh fish which was nearly half the price as supermarket fresh fish. No one really knew English, but it didn't matter - I could recognize types of fish, and do some pointing. They'd clean the fish if you wished while you waited.

None of that spontaneity here. Yes, when I go to the supermarket I usually find things I didn't have on my list - I just came back from my run, and I didn't do too bad this time. I wanted to get OUT before the cashier lines started really backing up, considering this is Thanksgiving week.

Now I combine my grocery run with other things: Today - breakfast (first load in so I was the first person at my table since Sunday) at a really quality diner. Grocery at PriceChopper. (This will be on that other thread.) Bed Bath and Beyond - Extra cannisters for holding dried foods and flours, some magnetic spice containers for mixed spices I'll attach to the fridge; and 6 tiny Christmas trees for the Village that will be atop the mantle eventually - this was a splurge). I wanted to find a good carving knife but the reputable brand was $115 dollars and appeared sold out anyway. We Will Adapt. Tractor Supply: Feed for my quail. Tiny galvanized pails I plan to put sand in, so the quail can have "sand baths". Wanted to find some proper nails for a project here, but I will have to look elsewhere. Plenty of gas in the car so I didn't stop for that.

Since I have plenty of meat in my freezer, and have a source for fresh veggie delivery, I often go ten or so days without a grocery run these days.

I was reading some posts in the What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? and I wondered how many of us shop for groceries all at one time or go every day or several times a week.

Personally, I do not like shopping so I tend to get groceries once a week unless I forgot something. It is even more annoying now because of COVID. Our stores have to limit the number of people inside and there are arrows on the floor but people are constantly going the wrong way. It's cumbersome.

My ex used to shop every day before we got together. I was in school full-time, working full-time and caring for my dying grandmother when he and I met. Grocery shopped had to be a planned event because I had so little time and even less energy. He didn't mind going to the store every single day after work.

I am also an impulse shopper. I will buy things not on my list if they are a good price or I know I'm running low on something.

So, how about it! Do you shop in one fell swoop or go on the hunt more frequently?
We don't stick to a cast iron plan; usually I or we shop twice or three times a week (according to a shopping list) but that varies. On holidays we go shopping more often - not during COVID, of course. If we spot something interesting or extra cheap in the hypermarket, we may buy extra items. We also have a cooking/bakery school nearby. They have a nice shop but the quality and quantity of dishes varies: sometimes we go there several times a week (and look for e.g. cooked veggies, salads, soups and baked goods), sometimes we get bored/fed up with the unpredictability and stay away for a month. Now that my RA is under control, we look for pre-prep meals much more infrequently.

I keep my pantry well stocked. There is plenty of room. I also buy meat on sale, or when I see something really good. I vacuum seal the meat, and freeze it. So, most of the time, all I need to buy frequently is fresh produce.

CD

I have a small pantry and I LOVE going to the supermarket, so I go once a week. Before the pandemic I was going to the supermarket 2-3 times per week as I lived in an area with 3 different supermarkets and several small grocery shops just between the office and my house. Nowadays I moved house, I'm no longer going the office and there's always a queue outside the supermarket that's closest to me.

Wife works 8 to 5 mon to fri. We do a planned shop on Saturday, I do a list off the board TastyReuben got me into this. It's not everything as I also call into shops during the week. Today I'm getting Coke and biscuits and stuff to spoil,grandkids. Maltesers and m and ms prolly. Potato crisps as well?

Russ

5 times a week, Each morning we discus over our breakfast coffee what we will eat that night. This takes place between 06.00 and 07.00 so anything we need from the freezer will defrost. We eat a lot of fruit in the week so we normally need to replenish. Everything is put back a day if we see some seafood we fancy at the fish market,

My preference is to go every other day, mainly for fruit & veg, and a big shopping trip once a week, where I stop by a variety of stores.

Since COVID, though, I go once a week for a big shop, and maybe one other time in-between, because even with a list, my memory is crap, and I'll forget to add things to my list.

About the only thing I buy on-the-spot is meat. Kroger will frequently run 2-4-1 meat specials, so I'll do that to stock up. I prefer to buy my meat elsewhere, but for the time-being, I'm limiting my stops, so Kroger it (usually) is.

TastyReuben , I've never been to Kroger. What is it like?

Are you limiting your stops due to COVID? Our governor just closed our schools again in response to the second wave so I imagine that they will go back to having people not leave their homes except for essential grocery shopping.

What's going on in your area with that?

P.S. My memory is crap too. It's a good day when I have matching shoes! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I am rural and the nearest real supermarket is 35 minutes away, I try to do everything in one swell foop. I supplement (when the season permits ) by using my garden veggies, and now that winter is coming, by ordering other veggies/fruits through Misfits Market (but they don't always have what I want). I also try to hit the Farmer's Market in season every Saturday if I am available. (They are closed now until June.)

At any rate -- I try to go once a week. I just came back from there. If I missed one item and I can go grab it at the Mom and Pop or the Pop and Pop (20 minutes or 15 minutes away, respectively - the former has a bigger selection of foods) I'll do that. Sometimes. If I've missed something neither of those would carry I do without and substitute.

In my working days, I usually shopped at Stew Leonard's or ShopRite on my way home from work. Occasionally Saturday mornings if the work day was too aggravating to shop after. The thing was, there were FIVE regular supermarkets I could choose from on my way home from work, so I could pick any one of them. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's were too close to work, so unless I was super hungry and wanted a lettuce-wrapped burger (from Whole Foods) on the way home, I just got on the highway and went home (or to the two closer to home shops). If I had to go to work on the weekends for an hour or three, I would shop at Trader Joes. (The reason for my avoidance of the two stores near work on weekdays was that the highway would back up more and more and more if I dwadled at any shopping prior to the highway.., unless it was so late it was already after six pm, at which point I might as well wait for the traffic to die down while eating aforementioned burger...)

So.. I was stopping for groceries 3 and sometimes 4 days a week, and sometimes Saturday or Sunday mornings around 8 or 9 am before other folk woke up. (This also included Saturday morning Costco visits - hey, a SIXTH close place!, which happened every other month as I'm only one person - but sometimes I was in the mood for the freebie samples or the seafood specialty counter which at my Costco was only open on Saturday mornings.)

There was also a small Indian market and a small overcrowded Asian market - if I was running late at work on Fridays, I'd sometimes drop in their for their Friday afternoon run of fresh fish which was nearly half the price as supermarket fresh fish. No one really knew English, but it didn't matter - I could recognize types of fish, and do some pointing. They'd clean the fish if you wished while you waited.

None of that spontaneity here. Yes, when I go to the supermarket I usually find things I didn't have on my list - I just came back from my run, and I didn't do too bad this time. I wanted to get OUT before the cashier lines started really backing up, considering this is Thanksgiving week.

Now I combine my grocery run with other things: Today - breakfast (first load in so I was the first person at my table since Sunday) at a really quality diner. Grocery at PriceChopper. (This will be on that other thread.) Bed Bath and Beyond - Extra cannisters for holding dried foods and flours, some magnetic spice containers for mixed spices I'll attach to the fridge; and 6 tiny Christmas trees for the Village that will be atop the mantle eventually - this was a splurge). I wanted to find a good carving knife but the reputable brand was $115 dollars and appeared sold out anyway. We Will Adapt. Tractor Supply: Feed for my quail. Tiny galvanized pails I plan to put sand in, so the quail can have "sand baths". Wanted to find some proper nails for a project here, but I will have to look elsewhere. Plenty of gas in the car so I didn't stop for that.

Since I have plenty of meat in my freezer, and have a source for fresh veggie delivery, I often go ten or so days without a grocery run these days.

Wow. I don't blame you for wanting to get everything in one trip. Thirty-five minutes away is not an easy commute.

It's cool that you have a garden. I can't grow anything. Sigh. What kinds of things do you grow in your garden?

I would probably be overwhelmed if I had easy access to SIX shopping options. That would be sensory overload for me. Ha Ha.

I think it's nice to have ethnic stores nearby. We have a Mexican grocery store and I can usually find what I want with my limited Spanish skills. We don't have an Indian or Asian market closer than 30 minutes away. I've been meaning to check them out when I go that way for my doctors' appointments.

Wow. It sounds like you accomplished quite a bit on your last shopping run. I look forward to seeing pics of your Christmas village. ;-)

We don't stick to a cast iron plan; usually I or we shop twice or three times a week (according to a shopping list) but that varies. On holidays we go shopping more often - not during COVID, of course. If we spot something interesting or extra cheap in the hypermarket, we may buy extra items. We also have a cooking/bakery school nearby. They have a nice shop but the quality and quantity of dishes varies: sometimes we go there several times a week (and look for e.g. cooked veggies, salads, soups and baked goods), sometimes we get bored/fed up with the unpredictability and stay away for a month. Now that my RA is under control, we look for pre-prep meals much more infrequently.

It sounds like we have similar shopping patterns. I usually don't go with my caregiver for grocery shopping, but she knows me well enough to know what kinds of items I would get even if they aren't on the list I give her.

I am glad to hear that your RA is under control. I have pain every day and it basically dictates how much I can do on any given day. I have been relying on microwave meals and cooking when my caregiver is here so I have to just reheat dishes. It's been a life saver for me.

I keep my pantry well stocked. There is plenty of room. I also buy meat on sale, or when I see something really good. I vacuum seal the meat, and freeze it. So, most of the time, all I need to buy frequently is fresh produce.

CD

That's cool. I've never gotten into the vacuum seal options. I used to be on a group for Friendly-Freezer and was good about proper rotation so nothing ever "got lost" in the deep confines of my freezer.

I don't have a deep freezer anymore so I just have the one above my fridge which is just enough space for one.

What type of sealer do you use and have you noticed a marked difference in the quality of food from the freezer with and without the sealing? I might consider buying one if it helps.

I have a small pantry and I LOVE going to the supermarket, so I go once a week. Before the pandemic I was going to the supermarket 2-3 times per week as I lived in an area with 3 different supermarkets and several small grocery shops just between the office and my house. Nowadays I moved house, I'm no longer going the office and there's always a queue outside the supermarket that's closest to me.

Well, I need you to come to Chicago so you can do my grocery runs! LOL A big part of my not liking to shop is my health. Most grocery stores have concrete slabs underneath and walking on it aggravates my osteoarthritis. I did shop more often when I felt better. I just don't like long lines (queues) and slow cashiers. I usually send my caregiver to the grocery for me but will always use the self-checkout if I go.

How do you like working from home? Our governor just closed the schools again in response to a second wave here in the Illinois. Hopefully, the rollout for the vaccine will be coming soon. I've heard it could be as early as the Spring. I hope so. We can't all live in limbo for the rest of our lives.

No going shopping at all here. Everything on-line and delivered to my door. I love it!

I hear you. I lived in a different state for 7 years and relied on grocery pick-up. They didn't offer delivery but it was so nice to just place and order, drive up and have them load the van. Our local WalMart started doing online shopping but it's a work in progress (you can't change your order after one hour which makes no sense because they don't open until 7A and you can get substitutions that have to be taken back to the store if you don't want them. That kind of defeats the purpose of the convenience of online shopping).

We also have a service in IL (although I never checked to see if they come here. I live in a rural area so I cannot get services like Uber or Lyft) called PeaPod. They deliver straight to your front door. I used them a few times and it was great service and quality products. I haven't found anything comparable though.

Back
Top Bottom