Show us your front door mat?

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
1:02 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Unless you live in an apartment or a flat, you probably have a front door mat for the wiping of feet (usually enclosed in shoes or boots). And if you do live in an apartment or flat, you might have one, anyway. (I did at those points in my life.)

I just found this one at a "big box" hardware store this past month, and I love it, as my home is a log-constructed home. So, perfect ambiance. Yes, a splurge buy.

welcome-.jpg

Unless you count a bit of coir matting which is fitted in the porch between an outer & inner door, I don't have one. In fact I have a rather pathological dislike of them ( :ohmy: ) . I hate the way they disrupt the symmetry of a room or hallway. I also hate slogans all over them or silly pictures. That's just me. I'm continually striving for uncluttered simplicity. Sorry if I'm being a damp squib.

One place I do have a mat is through necessity by the patio doors. Otherwise bits and pieces get trodden in from the garden - or wet footprints (paw prints if dog is here). I tried everything and eventually found that a bathroom mat was brilliant for soaking up wet. So that is what I have. Its grey and I wish I didn't have to have it there.

The good thing is it can be chucked in the washing machine and dries in no time.

Last edited:
Understood, Morning Glory. Up here especially in the winter it is nice to have one. That doorway is covered, but wet or snowy boots and such still slop up, and I'd prefer not having that drool come indoors. For really mucky weather, I have an adjacent boot scraping location. But most people tend to not know what that is, and they ignore it.

One place I do have a mat is through necessity by the patio doors. Otherwise bits and pieces get trodden in from the garden - or wet footprints (paw prints if dog is here). I tried everything and eventually found that a bathroom mat was brilliant for soaking up wet. So that is what I have. Its grey and I wish I didn't have to have it there.

The good thing is it can be chucked in the washing machine and dries in no time.

View attachment 33847
I have a large rug in front of the patio doors - it doesn't come through unscathed when the mutt rushes in at about 40 mph but anything smaller would be shredded.

Being on a farm (literally) things are slightly different here.

The front door is rarely used, except by the chooks when sheltering from storms our by myself in the morning to access the veranda. We've put a large catch it all mat there (it is actually designed to collect mud and had a waterproof bottom).

The back door actually takes you into a mud room designed for workers to strip off and change etc, so instead of the mat being outside out is inside doing the same job. It's a decent length to allow all to get in at once. And like the front door may is waterproof and designed to catch mud.

We have a carpet cleaner so they are both easy to clean, but normally because it is so dry, I only have to either sweep the mat or hover it as needed.

They are both functional rather than pretty.

The rug I have is not waterproof, but a sprinkling of bicarb and a good hoovering usually gets rid of the muddy paw and footprints.

Mine have always been waterproof as in they've been meant to be out door mats. But they don't really lend themselves to a washing machine. When I "clean" them, it is simply by taking a good hold of an edge, and beating them against something solid (out doors) so the dust and dirt and grime fly away.

My "Go Away" mat is a coconut fiber mat. It lasts for a very long time, but does get dirty. They are easy to clean with a dish soap and water mix. I need to do mine pretty soon. It's pretty dirty.

CD

My "Go Away" mat is a coconut fiber mat. It lasts for a very long time, but does get dirty. They are easy to clean with a dish soap and water mix. I need to do mine pretty soon. It's pretty dirty.

That sounds like an unpleasant job - in fact you have now brought back my full-blown pathological hatred of doormats. I'd probably but a new one rather than wash it!

My front door mat is rather muddy tonight. I took the mutt for a walk over a park at lunch time to stop him moaning cos his lunch was late (to him at any rate, his body clock did not go back an hour last night) and then I did a bit of gardening. My trainers are thick mud to. I shall wait until the mat and the trainers dry and give them both a bashing followed by a going over with the vacuum cleaner. The trainers may find their way into the washing machine if they still look dirty, but not the mat.

Back
Top Bottom