Show us your pet

I used to have 5 iguanas. One was only a baby, three were a couple of feet long, but the oldest one was enormous. He'd never stay still long enough to measure him. They lived in a large vivarium under the stairs but used to come out during the day time and run around the house. The smallest one used to like running up the curtains and peeping out from behind the curtain rail.

Thats nuts.
:)

Russ

I have kept all sorts over the years - pedigree rabbits, budgerigars, foreign finches, parakeets, chickens, hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, rats (400+ at any one time), owls, birds of prey, iguanas, koi, various tropical fish, cats, dogs, ferrets, tortoises, turtles, and probably a few others I've forgotten about. I got my first pets - a blue rabbit, a pullet and a budgie nearly 70 years ago. Unfortunately a drastic change in circumstances about 25 years ago and more recently health issues meant that I had to have a rethink, and now I have only my greyhound and my three cats.

I have kept all sorts over the years - pedigree rabbits, budgerigars, foreign finches, parakeets, chickens, hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, rats (400+ at any one time), owls, birds of prey, iguanas, koi, various tropical fish, cats, dogs, ferrets, tortoises, turtles, and probably a few others I've forgotten about. I got my first pets - a blue rabbit, a pullet and a budgie nearly 70 years ago. Unfortunately a drastic change in circumstances about 25 years ago and more recently health issues meant that I had to have a rethink, and now I have only my greyhound and my three cats.

Dr dolittle,lol. I've owned 3 dogs (1 for breeding, pups don't count as they were sold) 3 cats, budgies goldfish, tropical fish, pigeons as a kid, thats about all I think.

Russ

Dr dolittle,lol. I've owned 3 dogs (1 for breeding, pups don't count as they were sold) 3 cats, budgies goldfish, tropical fish, pigeons as a kid, thats about all I think.

Russ
There's no need for me to keep pigeons. There are enough around here anyway without any more, and that's not counting the wild ones and woodpigeons etc. The local pigeon breeders meet regularly at one of the few remaining pubs in this neighbourhood, and I've known a few people who keep/kept them.
I forgot to add canaries to my list.
At one time our house was called the [street name] zoo. If anyone found any sick or injured animals they used to bring them to me. Every time one family in our street were away for a weekend, their cat even used to wander over to mine for food. I came home from work one day to find said cat and a carrier bag full of food on the doorstep - they were going away for a fortnight! Several years later my daughter and her family came down from Lincolnshire to visit. My daughter asked me if I'd got a new dog, and sure enough there was a strange dog in the garden. We knocked on several doors to see if anyone had lost it. Of course it was theirs, carrying on the tradition.
In the 1990s a local city zoo used to bring sick, injured and abandoned birds of prey to me. I didn't have a licence to look after them, so I became an honorary employee of the zoo for a few years. Another birdkeeper not far from me was not so lucky. He was asked by a vet to nurse a badly injured bird back health, which he was perfectly capable of doing but he didn't have a licence. He was taken to court over it and fined a horrendous amount of money.

coming home from the vet this morning

20190621_110011.jpg

coming home from the vet this morning

View attachment 28842
Mine rides around in the back of my car too - transporting the mutt is about the only thing the car gets used for nowadays unless I am going to see my daughter.
Tippy is just as likely to get in anyone's car or van when there are lady greyhounds involved.

The wrong van.jpg

The wrong car.jpg

I have a saloon car!

Russ

Starting with being kids we had a labrador, tortoise, budgie, fish tanks, rabbits, guinea pigs and a hamster. As an adult, rabbits, guinea pigs, stick insects, rats and cats. For a number of years we dropped to just a cat but I have been wanting guinea pigs for a while and the time was right.

Starting with being kids we had a labrador, tortoise, budgie, fish tanks, rabbits, guinea pigs and a hamster. As an adult, rabbits, guinea pigs, stick insects, rats and cats. For a number of years we dropped to just a cat but I have been wanting guinea pigs for a while and the time was right.

Lol, hope you have better luck than I did,lol.

Russ

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom